You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo frequently crashes when saving a file !

Until this morning Affinity Photo has worked just fine for over a year,however today, it crashes whenever I try to save a file. It seems to be so corrupted I can no longer work with it. It is also running more slowly than normal. I am running it on a Mac Pro OS 10.7.5 as I am unable to upgrade to more recent OS systems due to the age of my computer which is no longer supported by Apple.

I have already run Disc Repair, the disc is OK and I also repaired the permissions but to no avail. It still crashes. I think the problem might be solved if I trash a preferences file but there are four of them.

Question….Can I trash them all or is there one in particular I should trash ? I don't want to make the situation worse by trashing a wrong one.

Or as a secondary solution…..should I just do a reinstall which means having to go through the App Store again and that is always a pain ?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Limey

• Staff
You can reset Affinity Photo back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. 

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Thank you for your quick reply. That is useful to know. I will watch the video to learn more about preserving user settings..

As it was, I remembered that I had a fresh backup copy of the program installed on a another hard drive. I uninstalled the corrupted version with App Cleaner and copied the fresh version back onto my work disk. The program now works perfectly and it only took a few minutes and I have no more issues.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before ????…….Fredzheimers perhaps…..

Thanks again…..

• 2 years later...

This is happening to me in December 2020 on affinity photo on macOS Catalina.  Photo was working fine until a couple weeks ago, I don’t know of any changes I made. It just is not able to open Affinity Photo documents or save them.   I’m going to try to trash preferences, although it might be holding Option on a Mac instead of the Control key.

6 hours ago, Ben in Texas said:

I’m going to try to trash preferences, although it might be holding Option on a Mac instead of the Control key.

No, it is Control on the Mac too. One of the rare instance where we use Control just like the Windows people. Also the usual convention is "If Control on Windows then Command on Mac", not Option.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.