You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

I have watched a lot of videos now but somehow I cannot find a clear tutorial on how to make a picture in polygons. I start with the first triangle and maybe a second but then it does not work anymore.

What am I doing wrong? I am using AD for that. 

Do I have to close each triangle even if I have a line there from the previous triangle already? Do I have to go over the same line again? I want to fill each triangle with colour so that would make sense, but somehow it does not work properly. Often the third line just won't show up and do not know why. Like here I tried various points, but they all did not work. 

And why are some lines bold red and others like thin and pink?

Does somebody know a good tutorial for that or has a helpful hint for me?

image.thumb.png.1e0b9265d25f78f4f350e84954e804a9.png

Hello Tina,
maybe the following video will help

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Hi, Tinakr,

Describe what you did. The post may come up in searches from other people. This topic comes up every now and then. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi,

Another solution is to process your image in another application like G'MIC (a plugin for Krita, GIMP, or standalone). You can do it online too. (artistic filters > polygonize [delaunay/energy] (without outline). Play with the options to have something that pleases you.

Once you've downloaded the result you can recreate the triangles in AD if you want them as vectors.

2 hours ago, gdenby said:

Hi, Tinakr,

Describe what you did. The post may come up in searches from other people. This topic comes up every now and then. 

Hello again

the mistake I made was that

1.) I sometimes did not close some triangles. Therefore some lines could not be continued and the triangle not be closed. As the result the incomplete lines remain kind of thin and pink and the white dots do not disappear like you can see on above screen print. I thought that if triangles are next to each other, they will share the same line but this is not correct. Each triangle needs three lines leading to each corner.

2.) I did not know and could not see it anywhere (there is no video about it) that when starting a new corner it has to be held and positioned on top of the existing one in that way that the existing lines show a thin yellow line. This proves that they are lying exactly on top of each other. Same with the corners. They need to turn yellow when holding them on top of each other.  So if you have like 5 triangles sharing a corner, all lines and the corner have to turn yellow (when grabbing it) if perfect. 

This is partly what it looks like now. It is a lot of work and very time consuming. I did not finish it yet, but the first result looks promising. The red lines will be removed still and changes still be made.

I hope this will help the next person when searching. Otherwise please just contact me for help. I also hope that it is understandable what I wrote. 

image.png.be9a47d2a17b2c37ce3f4adf7b302e01.png

35 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Hi,

Another solution is to process your image in another application like G'MIC (a plugin for Krita, GIMP, or standalone). You can do it online too. (artistic filters > polygonize [delaunay/energy] (without outline). Play with the options to have something that pleases you.

Once you've downloaded the result you can recreate the triangles in AD if you want them as vectors.

Thank you Wosven. I will have look at it, it sounds interesting. 

EDIT: WOW ... I love it. It is a lot of fun to play with G'MIC. Thanks again!

BTW: my pen-tool is not holding the last fill-color, it will always rest to none. The stroke i can change and it will take color/fatness/style... but the fill color will always reset to none by each new "pen-stroke"??????

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

11 hours ago, Polygonius said:

BTW: my pen-tool is not holding the last fill-color, it will always rest to none. The stroke i can change and it will take color/fatness/style... but the fill color will always reset to none by each new "pen-stroke"??????

Look on the right end of the Pen Tool Context toolbar for "Use Fill" with a checkbox.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Ah, thx, RCR. Seems i forget sometimes to look fisrt on the tool/contextbar, before asking here. But the help here is so fast and comfortable and friendly ;-) 

+++++++++++++

BTW: i found an addition to speed up the workflow by sierra-alfa video.

The way is: Draw ALL your polygons with EMPTY fill (just an orientation stroke, if ypu prefer "filled" curves you can also use this, but do not forget to "unfill" after pen-work...). Well, thats the main-job and there is no (semi) automation. But you can speed up the next steps. 

After doing your pen-work you have a lot of curves. When using the exedropper you the problem to find the "current" curve. You allways have to switch to move-tool, to see on canvas and then back to the dropper (fill average). You can THIS steps speed up by using the shorty for colordrop )normally "I"

Than go to the first curve, switch via key V to locate that layer, switch via I to the dropper, does the fill, than select the next layer press "V" again (will switch to move-tool- now you see where this segment is located as frame-highligt... and press "V" again - it will toggle to the dropper-tool: Do your "average fill"  with the dropper, select next curve, press V to select and V again to switch to the dropper.......) 

Well it keeps a frickle, time-stealing work, but it speeds up the process at least some minutes. 

ATTENTION: works only if the curves are not filled. So select all and set fill to none. After the average-dropper-proces select again all and set also the strokes to none.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Thank you Polyonius. This is what I did, at least for the first part.

I do the strokes first and when I am finished I do the filling and then I delete all strokes. Then I use a completely different background color like red or yellow and control if there are gaps still and do the corrections if necessary. I personally do not find it difficult to do the filling because I enlarge the picture but I will try your work process too.