Flood Select Tool {Windows 10 -64 bit} triggers (not responding), then blank screen, then multiple selections, then (not responding), then it finally selects the entire image. 

Process: Click Background layer / Click Flood Select tool / Click onto clouds in image / rapidly move across clouds while maintaining depressed click with mouse / release mouse at end {left to right} of image {clouds}.

It is Pixel Layer or Image Layer?

Image Layer is a single object, and can only work with it as a whole.

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.7.3.481.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.476.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.

It is (I assume) a Pixel Layer. It is a 16 bit .tif HDR image created in Photomatix Pro then opened (file / open) in a Document. In the "Layers" Studio Panel it is described as "Background (Pixel)".

In this case I'm doing a quick swipe across the sky with the Flood Select tool. The sky has dark & white clouds as well as blue sky. As might be expected it selects the dark clouds (similar pixels) then the screen goes blank & a "Not Responding" message appears. Once the screen refreshes, the top & left side of the entire image is selected rather than the clouds or sky.

When you drag the tool, rather than clicking, you are adjusting the tolerance level. If you drag across dark, and light, then you probably end up with a large tolerance value, which will select a large amount of the image, depending on other tool options you've chosen, such as Contiguous.

If you want the dark clouds and the light clouds, you will probably want to make sure you've selected Contiguous in the context bar, and drag only on the contiguous dark clouds. Then change from New to Add, and drag on another set of clouds, repeating on each set of contiguous clouds. If you also want the blue sky, then repeat for sections of sky.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.535 Beta

Thanks, Walt. I had selected contiguous. Initially it did select the dark clouds, but then it did the "Not Responding" thing with a blank screen. This time it then refreshed & some of the trees in the lower portion of the image were selected. Then another "Not Responding" / refreshed blank screen & the whole image was selected. Magic!!! This all occurred as I sat ..., befuddled, not touching anything. The image is a 16 bit tif HDR processed Photomatix Pro. The same happened with the jpg "flood_select" image provided by Affinity as I followed, meticulously, the instructions given.

Even selecting Contiguous, if you drag rather than clicking you're increasing the tolerance of the tool, and if it gets big enough based on what you dragged over then you can end up selecting most or all of the image. I just tried it with Affinity's "flood_select" image and the instructions from the Workbook.

Can you share the image you're working with, and tell us where you clicked and where you stopped your drag?

-- Walt

Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.535 Beta

I'm beginning to understand the "tolerance" part of it. Rather than be so aggressive, I swiped over only the dark clouds & it worked. Then the Light clouds, etc...

As the instructions say, "like pixels". Thanks for your patience. 

Bass Lake Cloudy_af.jpg

You're welcome. I think that's an aspect of flood selection that can easily cause confusion.

-- Walt