createsean

Install failed for Designer and Photo

Am posting a new thread as per instructions here.

Affinity Photo and Designer both fail for me. I have rebooted, run as administrator and my machine is fully updated. It fails no matter what I do. 

I then followed the instructions here about logs.  I've uploaded both log files to the dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/request/0M6Pei3iziG4FjYAdRa5.

Do you have any third-party 'file/registry cleaning' software installed that could have "cleaned up" the contents of C:\Windows\Installer?  Maybe even installed as part of antivirus software like Avast?

Or have rolled back Windows to a previous restore point recently?

16 minutes ago, - S - said:

Do you have any third-party 'file/registry cleaning' software installed that could have "cleaned up" the contents of C:\Windows\Installer?  Maybe even installed as part of antivirus software like Avast?

Or have rolled back Windows to a previous restore point recently?

Yes I was running out of space on C drive a few weeks ago so i cleared all of that out.

13 minutes ago, createsean said:

Yes I was running out of space on C drive a few weeks ago so i cleared all of that out.

OK, thanks for confirming.  I think I'll leave this for Serif to reply to, as they may have further instructions.  However bear in mind they may not respond until Monday.

4 minutes ago, - S - said:

OK, thanks for confirming.  I think I'll leave this for Serif to reply to, as they may have further instructions.  However bear in mind they may not respond until Monday.

Thank you. Will wait for official Serif support.

On 8/24/2018 at 4:12 PM, createsean said:

Am posting a new thread as per instructions here.

Affinity Photo and Designer both fail for me. I have rebooted, run as administrator and my machine is fully updated. It fails no matter what I do. 

I then followed the instructions here about logs.  I've uploaded both log files to the dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/request/0M6Pei3iziG4FjYAdRa5.

Thanks for taking the time to create a log and share them with us. Whilst I'm not the installation engineer (he'll take a look on Tuesday (Monday is a national holiday here)), I can see that the error is due to being unable to uninstall the previous version of Affinity Designer. Can you try manually uninstalling the old version first?

In this thread @Leigh gave instructions for generating the installation log.

In another thread, an Affinity user mentioned that if you replace the /log parameter shown in Leigh's post with /extract that you'll get a .msi file, and he found that he could get the program installed by manually running that .msi file.

Perhaps that would work for you, too?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404

1 hour ago, createsean said:

I am unable to uninstall manually - it's looking for a file that no longer exists.

Part of the job of the C:\Windows\Installer directory is to act as a cache location for Windows installer based applications. It holds stripped down versions of the Windows installer data files. During application install, update of the application or application removal, this directory is used by the application to confirm the existence of previously installed items to determine the next steps the installer needs to take.  The files differ from machine to machine.  Deleting the contents of that folder can cause issues and I think this is the root cause of your particular issue.

To resolve issues that may arise due to this, you can run the tool in the below link from the Microsoft website.  After running the tool to fix the issues, it should allow you to then uninstall the previous version by going to Windows Settings > Apps and uninstalling the previous Affinity software.  Then once uninstalled, install the new version of the Affinity software.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

This has worked on previous versions of Affinity Software, but I didn't want to post this on Friday because as 1.6.5.123 is new, Serif may have had alternative instructions to give you.

I got an easy fix after all the issues I had with this installer. Download and Run Ccleaner, and have it run and clean out your registry. Restart your computer, and you should be able to install now. This worked for me after reading all the fixes that weren't working.

No probs.

Just a note to any lurkers with the "The type initializer for 'System.Windows.Media.FontFamily' threw an exception" error, this particular issue was a different issue to that one.