You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

An error occured ... exporting to PDF

I opened (and slightly edited, but that does not change the matter) the following SVG with AD:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Unix_history-simple.svg

However, exporting this to PDF fails with the (extremely helpful) message:

An error occurred while exporting to:
/Users/mambo/Unix_history-simple.pdf

I'm using Windows instead.

I get no error message--that would have been helpful if using Windows because at least one is notified of an error!

I get a blank PDF. And then nothing on the page can be selected. I can start a new drawing, I can do anything with the UI. I just cannot select that SVG again.

AD also tells me that parts will be raster. No other application I use has any of these issues and all hits a PDF as vector.

Mike

• Staff

Hi Mambo,

Welcome to the forums :) 

I'll certainly look into this, as currently I'm seeing the same error message.

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I get no error message... I get a blank PDF

Could you confirm the export settings you're using here Mike? I'm also on Windows but I receive the error message shown in Mambos post!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Oh. I should mention that I tried placing and leaving as embedded, opening that embedded svg, copy/paste onto the page (and deleting the embeded version), as well as opening. PDF was empty on all counts and no error message. I exited/restarted AD each time.

• Staff

I've located the issue here, it appears to be caused by 2 curves on the SVG import. As can be seen below, the first screenshot is from Wikimedia, the second from Affinity Designer. 

image.png

image.png

These two curves still exist - they are the first two curves in the layers panel (sgv_4 & sgv_3). They both have a black stroke, are completely transparent and report as 'pt' in thickness.

This is why the PDF export fails, as the lines are not technically set to 0pt, let alone the 1pt they should be. Select these two curves, change the stroke to 1pt and the opacity to 100% then export as a PDF, this should solve the issues! :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 1 month later...