You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Affinity Designer Update 1.6.5 not installing

Hi there, I have a problem, I've been trying to install the new Affinity Designer update but it doesn't want to. When I open my Affinity Designer tells me that there is an updated press ok or download, I pressed download and it takes me to the download page. I select download, the new update downloads but when I click and double click on it it does nothing and when I try to open it as administrator it asks permission and after that nothing. I have restarted my laptop and I have not received any error msgs.

I'm sure I can continue using Affinity Designer without the new update but I would like the new update and this is the first time I've had a problem like this. 

Hope someone can please help me....

Have you ever used a second screen with your Laptop?

If yes, reconnect it, the installer could be opening on that screen

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Maybe a fresh install? Uninstall and try to download the new version again from your download page.

INTEL I5 3470 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | SSD EVO850 500GB | MSI 1050 TI 4GB

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Have you ever used a second screen with your Laptop?

If yes, reconnect it, the installer could be opening on that screen

Hi Carl123, thank you for the advice, I do have a 2nd screen and I've done what you suggested and still nothing.

1 hour ago, RM10 said:

Maybe a fresh install? Uninstall and try to download the new version again from your download page.

RM10 I"m not sure I want to uninstall my Affinity Designer just to reinstall it to get an update.......

Try closing all applications and then opening the Task Manager (right-click WIndows/Start icon and choose Task Manager).
Once the Task Manager is open, click on the "Name" column header until you get two grouped lists: Apps; and Background Processes.
Run the Designer update application EXE.
If the update application stays in the Task Manager Apps list but you don't see anything happening then it is either working on something, has stopped working but is still running (infinite loop or whatever), or is waiting for you to do something.
On the other hand, if the application drops out of the Task Manager Apps list without you doing anything then it has probably just plain crashed.
Neither of these helps you much - or probably at all - but it might help the Affinity team to diagnose the problem.
(You can then close Task Manager if you don't need it for anything else.)

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Try closing all applications and then opening the Task Manager (right-click WIndows/Start icon and choose Task Manager).
Once the Task Manager is open, click on the "Name" column header until you get two grouped lists: Apps; and Background Processes.
Run the Designer update application EXE.
If the update application stays in the Task Manager Apps list but you don't see anything happening then it is either working on something, has stopped working but is still running (infinite loop or whatever), or is waiting for you to do something.
On the other hand, if the application drops out of the Task Manager Apps list without you doing anything then it has probably just plain crashed.
Neither of these helps you much - or probably at all - but it might help the Affinity team to diagnose the problem.
(You can then close Task Manager if you don't need it for anything else.)

Hi GarryP, thank you so much for the advice. I tried it, on both when I double click and when I try the run as administrator it appears in the background processes for a few seconds and then disappear. 

1 hour ago, CBosman said:

Hi Carl123, thank you for the advice, I do have a 2nd screen and I've done what you suggested and still nothing.

RM10 I"m not sure I want to uninstall my Affinity Designer just to reinstall it to get an update.......

Well, for me it would be 2min to do that. The update for me only helped on the artboard dragging crash.

So if your version works fine for what you do you can keep it that way like you said.

INTEL I5 3470 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | SSD EVO850 500GB | MSI 1050 TI 4GB

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You're welcome but I don't think I'll be able to give more advice on this unfortunately.
If it's not even getting to the point where it's a running App then there's not a lot to diagnose.

You could try looking in the Event Viewer:
* Right-click Windows/Start;
* Choose Event Viewer;
* Open "Windows Logs" on the left;
* Select "Application" within "Windows Logs";
* Wait for the list in the middle panel to update;
* On the right, choose "Filter Current Log...";
* Set "Logged" to "Last Hour" (or "Last 12 Hours"), set "Event Sources" to MsiInstaller, and OK the dialog.

You should now have some 'groups' of events listed by time (first at the bottom of the list with time moving upwards).

For a normal working installation you should have:
1. Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\AffinitySetup...
2. Product: Affinity Designer -- Installation completed successfully.
3. Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Affinity Designer...
4. Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\AffinitySetup...

Maybe you see something different that will be useful to the developers.

Or, even better, you could get the setup log as just mentioned in the post by @carl123. (It was posted before I managed to finish typing this but I thought I'd leave my information in just in case it helped anyone in the future.)

And aside from generating the setup log, you could look at disabling any anti-virus /  malware programs you have running that could be flagging the installation (exe) file as a false positive.

But try the log thing first

• Staff

Hi @CBosman 

If you can try and get the log file as shown in the link @carl123 posted that would be a big help.  

Once you have the log file if you can post it here or drop me a private message with the log, i can get them looked at.

Of course, if there is no log file, just reply and we can take it from there :) 

14 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Hi @CBosman 

If you can try and get the log file as shown in the link @carl123 posted that would be a big help.  

Once you have the log file if you can post it here or drop me a private message with the log, i can get them looked at.

Of course, if there is no log file, just reply and we can take it from there :) 

As soon as I have something or not have something, I will send it to you, thank you

I would like to thank @carl123, @GarryP for the help, hope I didn't miss anyone, if I did I'm sorry, really appreciate all the help everyone has given me

Can someone help take a look at my log files. I'm trying to install for the first time Designer 1.6.5.123.exe and when I click it nothing happens. No install wizard or anything asking for permission to install it. Just nothing. I was able to gSetupUI.loget some logs following another post on here but I have no idea what to make of them.  

Setup.log

20 hours ago, koe88 said:

Can someone help take a look at my log files. I'm trying to install for the first time Designer 1.6.5.123.exe and when I click it nothing happens. No install wizard or anything asking for permission to install it. Just nothing. I was able to get some logs following another post on here but I have no idea what to make of them.  

It would be better to keep your issue separate from this one, as they could be different issues.  If that turns out to be the case, posting about two different issues in one thread will become confusing.  Therefore I would stick to the thread you created HERE.

Keep in mind, this weekend is a long weekend in the UK due to a bank holiday, so the installation engineers may not see any of these posts until Tuesday.