You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tutorial on Color Models, Color Spaces and Color Profiles (two-part)

Hi Everyone,

In the need to understand the sometimes complex subject of Color Models, Color Spaces and Color Profiles better, I found it hard to find a nice to read and complete source on the matter. So after I did a deep dive into the subject I decided to share what I've learned about it by writing a tutorial blog about it with illustrations and interactives. Yesterday I published part one about Color Models and color basics, to pave the way to Color Spaces for the next and last part of the article.

Although not directly Affinity related, I figured this could benefit other Affinity users too in understanding Color Spaces better and when to choose which in Designer and Photo. And making Color Spaces a little less confusing to understand. Of coarse all graphics-work for illustrations and interactives in the tutorial are made in Affinity Designer.

The blog is available in both Dutch (https://www.wigglepixel.nl/blog/wat-zijn-color-models/) and translated in English (https://www.wigglepixel.nl/en/blog/what-are-color-models/).

Hope you like it and if this makes others understand the subject better and as enthousiastic as I am now about it after this, I reached my goal! :)

Maarten

colspblog-color-models.jpg

25 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

Love the interactive models.

So do I, but the Safari browser on my iPad crashed when I was playing with the colour wheel. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 9/11/2018 at 2:29 PM, Roger C said:

Excellent presentation!

A great showcase for your skills. The interactive illustrations really reinforce the text.

A superb "hands on" teaching resource.

Thanks @Roger C ! Great to hear you like 'em so much and that it fits the content. Nice to hear that stuff!

On the moment I'm working very hard on the second part. That will probably go live by the end of next week. Be prepared, 'cause that will be a little bit more advanced technical stuff :)

On 9/12/2018 at 3:23 PM, MickRose said:

Beautifully done. Looking forward to the 2nd part.

On 9/15/2018 at 5:27 PM, Przemysław said:

Brilliant! Love the interactive bits.

Thanks a lot guys! Keep 'em coming ;)
Last weeks I was pretty busy with developing and creating and I'm also working top level on the next part of the blog, which is a little bit more technical, and very important stuff that deserves to be explained well to get everything across well. So I figured publishing this week was a little too optimistic. I'd rather provide you with some quality read that is worth reading and makes readers understand the matter, instead of just throwing it out there to match my deadline, so I will postbone it a little bit while working hard on it to make it a nice read! Keep you informed! :)

Excellent tutorial. Extremely slick animated graphics. Looking forward in learning more in the next part.

Those interested in working with these color models inside  the Affinity productrange I invite you to view the hands-on tutorials on using color in Affinity Designer and Photo by Elaine Giles. 

Affinity Designer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXUVnZ9Eqdk
Affinity Photo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz14E9LJqdI

• 2 weeks later...

Yes!! I just published the finished second and last part of the two-part blog online!
Thisone continues with a deep dive into Color Spaces, Color Profiles and Gamma-Correction. So you have something to read this weekend :);)

colspblog-colorspace.jpg.3aee9ffd940d6d11b84d15b62145c7d4.jpg

Available again in both Dutch and English:

English : https://www.wigglepixel.nl/en/blog/what-are-color-spaces-color-profiles-and-gamma-correction/
Dutch https://www.wigglepixel.nl/blog/wat-zijn-color-spaces-color-profiles-en-gamma-correctie/

@Max P @Aammppaa @Madame

@ianrb @TestTools @Roger C @MickRose @Przemysław @eab

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Next blog will be about the History of Interactive Computer Graphics (and animations!). I decided to add at least one interactive per part... and also created more than 110 illustrations to 'illustrate' the events in the story. There will be (at least) six parts in this series.... way too much to tell about the pretty interesting history of math, animations, electronics, logic, the first computers, the first games... and those coming together to develop to where we are now! It will surprise you how things went!

The (responsive) interactive for the first part is just finished and will explain a little bit about how the Casteljau Algorithm works... later known as Bézier Curves!

My job... is.. just... way... too... much... fun!

Maarten

• 6 months later...