You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show number of pixels in a selection?

Hello. I have Affinity Designer for the Mac. 

I was wondering if it is possible to freehand a selection on an image using the lasso or magnetic lasso tool, and have Affinity display the number of pixels in that selection? I would have very irregular selections, so I don't want the dimensions of the selection, but rather the total area inside the selection in pixels. In Photoshop, this information is displayed under the histogram. Is this available in Affinity Designer at all? 

Thank you 

• Staff

Hi oscbos,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately it's only currently possible to see the dimensions in the Transform Studio. I'll move this thread to feature requests for our devs to consider adding!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I've never tried counting pixels in a selection before.  But if you copy your selection then do File > New from Clipboard , does the attached not show the amount of pixels in the selection?

pixels2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Then again if you just make your selection and use CTRL+J to copy it to a new layer, selecting just that layer in the layers panel should also show the total amount of pixels in the histogram panel

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

I'd not thought about that approach Carl, it's certainly one way of doing it, thanks!

But unfortunately there's no histogram in Designer, so this isn't possible without both Designer and Photo.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

3 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I'd not thought about that approach Carl, it's certainly one way of doing it, thanks!

But unfortunately there's no histogram in Designer, so this isn't possible without both Designer and Photo.

Well, you can chalk that extra sale up to me when he rushes out to buy Affinity Photo

3 hours ago, carl123 said:

Then again if you just make your selection and use CTRL+J to copy it to a new layer, selecting just that layer in the layers panel should also show the total amount of pixels in the histogram panel

Nice.  It's even more simple than that, you can just tick the 'Marquee' checkbox in your screenshot.  Playing around with it, I've noticed that the yellow warning triangle needs to be clicked first though in order to show accurate numbers.

• 1 year later...

Three requests for Infinity Designer developers regarding object information that can be displayed, and perhaps constrained, please.

1: Display the total number of pixels selected in a pixel layer selection (curved line length, pixel x pixel area),
2: Display the actual length or area (points?) of the pathway stroke of an open or closed vector object in a vector layer, respectively), not just x,y position coordinates, and,
3: Allow ‘constrain length’, ‘constrain area’  as a selectable options when editing the shape of an open or closed vector pathway respectively.

Thanks for consideration. 

PS
Re: Above suggestion, am I correct this applies to Adobe Photoshop rather than Affinity Photo?  Apologies—-not yet very experienced with the Affinity Photo app, and tend to use Designer primarily on iPad, although I do have both apps, in iOS and MacOS versions. Retired Photoshop when P7 was no longer compatible with Later versions of MacOS.  

Cross-sectional anatomy drawings for illustration of positional breast shape (upright, supine,, lateral decubitus, and prone positions), and modeling of apparent change of apparent location.and shape of breast lesions on various breast imaging modalities (mammogram, breast ultrasound, and breast MRI respectively. Not a big problem for a firm 32 year old B-cup with no kids, but very challenging for a ptotic 50-something woman who breast fed 3 or 4 children. Breast tissue is mobile and elastic. Consider that the distance from nipple to breast lesion along the course of a duct is relatively constant, but that the course is never a straight line. Do some on line research — look at some real breasts (not airbrushed 20 year old magazine models), then how much and in what ways a woman’s breast actually move. 

That sounds like a VERY specialized application.

I was actually referring specifically to the count requested in the OP, as we seem to have multiple users on here looking for this same count, but you do bring up the point that this could still be for assorted research-related tasks rather than the more common image manipulations I would have thought of...

By the way, @TCups, welcome to the forums!

Specialized, yes, but can't be that uncommon of a need.  Morph the contour of a given breast size to preserve the cross-sectional area, to scale, or the length of measurement from nipple to a given point on the skin overlying an area of concern, or the length of the course of the breast duct leading from the nipple to the area of concern within the breast.  OsiriX MD has an open polygon (Beizer curve) tool that will make the linear measurement, and a closed polygon tool that will measure the area of an area of concern.  But for graphic illustrations, it would make it much easier if one could draw a cross section of a breast (or any complex shaped object) using a vector tool, then morph the points on the 2D cross section view in such a way as to preserve the area displayed, and the distance along the objects surface. One could then quickly adjust the position and shape, for example, of the breast, to show the effect of gravity and positioning and preserve the relative size (cross sectional area) of the shifting breast. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 12.20.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 12.25.53 PM.png

• 1 month later...

As a web developer (little design, mostly programming), I need to get the selected pixel size to measure pixel distances in existing graphics for various reasons.

It seems like such a simple thing, but I find requests for it going back years...