You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer alignment (noise reduction)

Hi' all !

I'm trying to align photos in order to procced to a noise reduction. However, if I use the classic stacking method (File -> Open stack) the alignement is made on the foreground (or maybe the part of the image is the easiest to align ?) and I don't want to !

My photos are milky way photos. In order to reduce noise in the sky I would like to align multiple photo of the milky way on the stars and not on the foreground (moutains, people, ...).

Is it possible to have a feature like this ? Align layers once we have applied a mask ?

Thank you for your answer :)

I don't think that there is no-one interested. There have been question about this in the main Questions forum. I think that there is not really a good answer. What you are suggesting is that the various images have masks applied before they are stacked, or rather, before the stack is aligned. There is no obvious way for the end user to do this. The only way to do it would be to apply the mask to all the images (possibly by a batch process), exporting them as flattened pngs. Then you can stack and align these image afresh before adding back the masked-out background.

As a formal request to the developers:

Could we please have the faciity to apply masks to a set of images before alignment?

Alternatively, could we have the facility to align and stack a set of open images?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Having reread my post above, I see that there will be a problem. Although the mask would be the same for each image, it would need to be aligned with the starfield, which would be in a different position in each image. Much more difficult than I had originally thought.

An alternative approach would simply to blur the background (anything but the starfield). This might prevent the alignmnt algorithm from using it.

Mods, I wonder if this post might be better moved to the Questions forum.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

It's totally the problem. I must edit the image by removing the foreground, then, align all and then replace the foreground previously removed. This for all the photos... It's a quite horrible work...

And, it's not a question, I really asking if it could be a feature in future version. Adding the possibility to align different layers after there were imported and not only align images during importation...