You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey Guys,

There is a lot I like about AD & AP. But there is also a lot I miss and hate!

I just recently purchased both programs and found myself constantly saying "Wow."

"Wow" for how many times I had to go back to Photoshop or Illustrator because there was NO ANSWER in AD or AP for tools that exist in those programs.

Major issues like the amount of points after converting a circle are alarming.

I've searched all over the forums for answers to see the common reply from the developers. Its either "its a feature coming" or "were small and only have so many developers." Which is fine but why waste resources on "Publisher?" The print market is on life support, so why put resources and developers on that? AD & AP are the bread and butter of all design, 90% of what we're designing uses those programs. Adobe isn't worried because you've left too many reasons for people NOT to switch or give AD & AP a try. Users have said it in your forums a 1000 times, tools we need that should be in here, the laundry list again:  

NO simplify path/Too Many Points  •  NO Free Transform  •  NO Select same fill color  •  Layers kinda sux  •   It’s Buggy  •  etc....

All these items increase speed, thats what the professionals require, the best tools that help get the job done quickly. Put all your eggs in the AD & AP basket then you can truly disrupt market share. The "look we have a publishing app now too," doesn't do anything for what I need to create.

5 minutes ago, MacMayhem said:

...Yada yada yada snipped out...

The "look we have a publishing app now too," doesn't do anything for what I need to create.

Gee. And we all create what you do. Life is so simple.

The teams for the applications are mostly separate teams. Which means that while there is cross-over for some people, the teams working on Ad vs. APhoto vs. APub are different folk.

Yep, there's a lot of work to be done on these relatively young applications to bring them up to various "standards." They'll get there.

Oh, hey, you might as well have added...why the heck did Serif make Windows versions while the Mac versions didn't have features X, Y & Z? (Hint: same reply, different teams.)

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Gee. And we all create what you do. Life is so simple.

The teams for the applications are mostly separate teams. Which means that while there is cross-over for some people, the teams working on Ad vs. APhoto vs. APub are different folk.

Yep, there's a lot of work to be done on these relatively young applications to bring them up to various "standards." They'll get there.

Oh, hey, you might as well have added...why the heck did Serif make Windows versions while the Mac versions didn't have features X, Y & Z? (Hint: same reply, different teams.)

Your actually making an argument that the Print market is stronger than Oh... I don't know.... Web, Apps, Games, etc. You obviously missed the Giant Point.

Please educate me more on how design teams work, I would have no idea, as that is what I do. Spending resources on a print app that the market is much smaller for, instead of spending that money to put more bodies in the AD & AP seats filling in the holes. Is the point you missed.

Now go back to hugging your Serif pillow. I wasn't attacking, just seriously disappointed I still have to visit the Adobe Evil Empire to get my work done. I'm hoping for the day that I could go to my bosses and get them to switch, but I can't recommend AD & AP in there current state.

8 minutes ago, Fixx said:

There are a lot of quite good pixel editors and vector apps, but only 2 or 3 good (and expensive) layout apps.

There are a lot of pixel and vector apps. But not Good! There are a lot of mediocre ones, great for a hobbyist, but professionally seriously lacking, I've tried them all. That's what I think Serif is truly missing, AD & AP are really close, they just need more of a push and sooner than later.

Future Exciting developments in AD like fewer points on a conversion, (however long we have to wait for that 1 or 2 years) when thats already the norm in Illustrator.

Is a bummer to say the least.

You're funny.

I've been doing print publications since 1989 and despite the vast increase in businesses and individuals doing layout work ever since, I am as busy as ever...certainly as busy as I want to be and if i wanted to, i could go back to 10 hour days, 6 days a week. I didn't miss your so-called giant point.

I use several layout applications. Usually two different ones each day. Do I need another one? Not really. Will I purchase a license for APub? Yep. I think it will be healthy for the field as a whole.

Hugging my Serif pillow? If you knew what some of the people at Serif likely think of me, you may not have written such a funny comment.

I'm not making excuses for the present state of AD. I was attempting to correct your misconception that by working on APub Serif was stealing man hours from AD development.

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

You're funny.

Do I need another one? Not really.

You're Funny! Thanks for making my point for me. You claim to be SOOOO busy in print and yet you could care less about this app. Obviously I stand corrected in my analogy. Amazing!

I'm sure you've heard of budgets, its simple math. Company money spent on APub, is company money not spent filling in the holes of AD & AP. Point made. I'm Sorry my comments on Serif's direction have touched a personal nerve with you, obviously I was on point with the pillow hug comment. I've been told thats what this area of the forum is for, FEEDBACK. What some people at Serif think or don't think of you. Who Cares! Color me unimpressed, it has nothing to do with this.

Cheers!

23 minutes ago, MacMayhem said:

You're Funny! Thanks for making my point for me. You claim to be SOOOO busy in print and yet you could care less about this app. Obviously I stand corrected in my analogy. Amazing!

I'm sure you've heard of budgets, its simple math. Company money spent on APub, is company money not spent filling in the holes of AD & AP. Point made. I'm Sorry my comments on Serif's direction have touched a personal nerve with you, obviously I was on point with the pillow hug comment. I've been told thats what this area of the forum is for, FEEDBACK. What some people at Serif think or don't think of you. Who Cares! Color me unimpressed, it has nothing to do with this.

Cheers!

See, you're being funny again by twisting my words. I am as busy as I desire at this time in my life. I only do work for clients I have long worked for and projects that interest me from new clients. I don't need the kind of money I was making earlier in life. When I'm not laying out jobs, I'm working in the wood shop using my hands. 

I do care about APub. I care that it can/will have impact on the industry even if I may not use it as much as if I was younger. But I will use it and follow its development with keen interest.

I use InDesign and QuarkXPress nearly every day. I use Viva Designer once a month or so. I use Ventura still and that is about once a month. (And to make it clear, by "once a month" I do not mean for an hour, or even a full day. I mean until the work is done.)

Here's some simple math. Go buy QXP or rent ID and watch the dollars evaporate from your budget. Heck, Viva Designer Pro may well break your budget. Much less keeping them all up to date.

Oh, wait, you were talking about Serif's "budget"? And by that unclear statement I assume your are talking not only dollars (or maybe not at all) but about human resources, especially time. Do I need to repeat that they are separate teams? Did you not get that? Just because Team APub is working away doesn't mean work on Ad or APhoto isn't progressing. Their progress just not fast enough for you. So I point you to my previous paragraph: Just go buy something that does work for your needs. Go rent AI, or keep right on renting it. Shelve AD. The heck with Serif and their being aloof to your desires. Revisit AD down the road when you've read assurances your needs will be met. But barking at the moon isn't going to resolve the issue.

My point about what certain people do or don't think about me is I have oft written that AD wasn't fit for purpose. Kinda like what you are doing if all that stupid excess was trimmed away. AD is better now, and I do use it for certain design work. And I do look forward to the work they have done and are doing on it. 

I could care less about your impressions of me, Serif or the man in the moon. Speaking of the moon, this is all just lunacy so I'll let you get the last words in.

Good luck.

Mike

6 hours ago, MacMayhem said:

doesn't do anything for what I need to create

And that's the point of this Topic. It's just that Photo and Designer don't fill all your blanks to leave Adobe forever.

Best regards!

1 hour ago, Mithferion said:

And that's the point of this Topic. It's just that Photo and Designer don't fill all your blanks to leave Adobe forever.

Best regards!

Isn't that the reason 95% of us are here? The hope of leaving Adobe Forever. Yes I'm the only one who has issues with: No free transform, No select same fill color, Too many points on conversion and no way to quickly simplify them, etc.

I get you guys are passionate for the program, I am as well. But when I hit a brick wall in these programs I hear "Its coming" or "We are only so big." That's where I go, then why get into APUB right now? How about we fix these issues that are keeping many people away from using AD or AP first. For example, I've heard the points thing in AD for it to be fixed requires a complete code overall. If that is true, that to me should be an all hands on deck situation. Not we will fix it when we fix it. I use Photoshop/Illustrator or Affinity Designer/Affinity Photo EVERY SINGLE DAY. I would argue that statement is true for probably 99.9% of designers out there. InDesign doesn't even get used a third as much. There are days or weeks its not even opened. I look forward to APUB, and will buy it, I just think it would have been better down the road after spending more quality time with Serif's 2 existing kids. 

Bottom line I want more people using AD & AP, because then that ensures I get to keep using it. Not enough users means it gets bought out and dismantled. Remember Freehand? Cheers!

"I use InDesign and QuarkXPress nearly every day. I use Viva Designer once a month or so. I use Ventura still and that is about once a month. (And to make it clear, by "once a month" I do not mean for an hour, or even a full day. I mean until the work is done.)"

Hear, hear! I'm waiting for APub to come along so I may begin, wherever possible, the long, arduous task of dropping InDesign from my workflow. I say "wherever possible" because InDesign is capable of doing things out-of-the-box that Quark can't do without plug-ins (Data Merge from CSV files and XML import immediately come to mind) and, so, it will be a while before I can completely hang up IDCS6. 

Does this mean that I'm not eagerly awaiting the arrival of APub? Of course not. It's just that I recognize that it will take a while to properly leverage it's strengths for my workflow.

What about annual reports, product catalogues, ebooks, "e"magazines, and others for digital purpose?

What do you use instead of Indesign?

I'm no pro like must of people here. Im currently using AD everyday, but I will welcome Publisher because I need to do catalogue and other stuff for print, and Indesign is out of my pocket..

The path to glory is long. Adobe didn't build all their software like magic and had its bugs for sure.

INTEL I5 3470 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | SSD EVO850 500GB | MSI 1050 TI 4GB

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206

11 hours ago, MacMayhem said:

Isn't that the reason 95% of us are here? The hope of leaving Adobe Forever.

Many folks here are waiting for Publisher for the very same reason.

11 hours ago, MacMayhem said:

That's where I go, then why get into APUB right now?

Because they are late on their initial promise of the first public release.

Best regards!

9 hours ago, Quarian said:

I say "wherever possible" because InDesign is capable of doing things out-of-the-box that Quark can't do without plug-ins (Data Merge from CSV files and XML import immediately come to mind) and, so, it will be a while before I can completely hang up IDCS6...

QXP now has JavaScript (and GREP JS) and part of that is a data merge that that can in-line merge. Since version 9, XML was dropped. But I transitioned all my XML clients to tagged text and haven't looked back.

As regards say Em Data's merge XTension...I use it in ID as well as Q because ID's data merge has historic bugs in it and because of all those stupid frames it creates with multiple record merges. Any merge I do cannot actually be handled in ID's native merge anyway. I also use Jo Letter XTension in Q for similar--but way better--merges than ID is capable of. I don't use it as often as Em's solution, though for certain work it is great.

Xtensions/plug-ins are great. I don't know how long it will take, if ever, for Serif to open up the means for third-parties to extend what APub may never be able to do. If for no other reason that is why the other layout software will have a larger market share.

I never get the point in certain stuff.. If hating a 50% (it was worded in a way that sounds like that...) of whatever the Affinity app, it only  makes sense to leave and stay in Adobe CC. Why the suffering. I for one and I have extremely varied workflows touching very different fields. I can cope with limitations and find my way through workarounds and /or combining with other apps I have.  And yet I prefer that to the CC renting stuff by many orders of magnitude.  They can't go faster than they do. Indeed, I'm extremely sure they'd be the most interested part in doing so, obviously. So, it's like it only makes sense taking a decision: Staying but then being ready for bumps in the road, as this ain't Adobe or Autodesk's size, or being all CC forever. Of course detecting issues, even bumping them from time to time (till certain polite extent) might help ...slightly.  Being all negative about how they're doing, dunno, might be me, but I don't see the point, how that's constructive or positive, not even for oneself.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:57 AM, Fixx said:

I just hope APub will be ready for work when InDesign CS5 stops working in my system.

I use InDesign CS6 until Affinity Publisher is out of Beta. With Parallels and I can use legacy software like Ai CS5 or even Freehand. Don't ask me about the speed of it. I just open old files. I'd guess since it's old software it should run reasonable fast.

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

Pulled down the APub Beta last night...moving right now so I probably won't get to really testing it until next week. Spent until 1AM here watching/rewatching the tutorials you posted. Just wanted to come up here and thank the devs and everyone else who worked on getting this one out on time. Thought for a minute we'd be looking at September, but you guys pulled together and got it out. Didn't expect you to release BOTH Windows AND Mac versions in Beta at the same time. No WONDER you were struggling. Hope your boss at least gave you pizza and a four-day weekend (I'm in the states...don't really know if labor day is celebrated over there), you deserve it!!!

If I may, a suggestion to my fellow forum readers: if presently you have no projects to properly test on APub, go to Project Gutenburg's website, https://www.gutenberg.org/, and pull down some public domain text from a classic book, and use that to practice laying out some text in APub. This is how I test the typographic capabilities of "new-to-me" layout packages. As it's unformatted text, you can use your imagination on how you'd like to see it formatted. Pick a topic/title, if possible, that you like so you can have some "buy-in" to your overall publication design. That said, I DO understand that it's a beta and we might not be able to do everything we want...yet.

My one suggestion to the devs is this: IDML import. IDML is an open specification and both S*****s and the big Q now have it. That said, thank you for the PDF import. I haven't yet used it, but have been seeing GLOWING reviews about it online.

My one suggestion to the marketing team--assuming they're the ones who make the tutorial videos (great job, by the way, ladies and gentlemen)--do one on how to import text info for tables. The current table video only shows how to create a table INSIDE the program without external input. Most of us are bringing tables in from outside. If that is a forthcoming feature, then I apologize for jumping the gun and will wait for you to implement it and put the tutorial up.

Great job, guys. The interface is very inviting. Some software packages you open and it's stiff city. Interfaces are so intimidating that you're not sure where to start, APub ain't one of those. Hopefully, I'll be sending you a sample or two once I get settled in my new place. Kick back and have a beer and a brat...you've earned it.

Just read Johannes comment above about using Freehand. Makes me think. Any chance that one could (later--when the personae are turned on) be able to import a multipage Freehand file and open it as a multipage Publisher document? Or would the PDF-to-publisher workflow still be the preferred way to go with it? The impending integration piece between AD and APub made me think about that. I have known a couple of people who were using Freehand as their principal multipage layout software (especially after master pages were implemented in either FH9 or 10). Just a thought.