You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a paint effect?

In Affinity Designer : Draw a circle >no fill >choose desired colour for the outline  >click a paintbrush to your liking.

The outline of the circle will turn to the brush you picked.

Additional brushes can be found in section "Resources" of this forum, Daub's are very, very good paintbrushes.

To import the brushes in the brush panel : Open Brushes panel >click the little "hamburger (3 stripes) on the right >click import brushes.

Hello Nic727,

For example, draw a circle, duplicate it. Apply one brush of one color to the first circle and another brush of another color to the copy.
In my example I converted the copy into curves and opened the curve at the top and the left to apply a light fx "3D" to the upper left of the circle.

Cercle peint.jpg

There are two kinds of brushes: vectorial and raster. 

Since your brushes are installed, you must be in the right Persona for them to appear: if the brushes you imported are raster brushes, you must be in "Persona Pixel".

Hi, Nic727,

I looked at various works from the same source. Noticed the same brush swipe w. different watercolor fills. Saw another logo that had what seemed to me to be 3 swipes of the same shape, but different sizes and different watercolor floods.

Did a quick search, and found what i expected. Watercolor samples packs w. different kinds of brush work and wetness. My guess is that there is a base circle swipe being made, which can be filled by whatever watery sample may be available.

I tried using a donated vector brush from the "CD-E3-Water" set I found early on in the Resources section of the forum. Gave that a blue hue. Made a pixel layer, and used a few different spray paint brushes. That I used as a mask to below for the curve shape. Wasn't very watery, so I duplicated it a couple of time, did some rotations and shape tweaks, added opacity gradients to the layers, and messed about w. the blend modes.

Didn't really replicate natural media, as the spray paint pixels were not very watery, but I'll show the results.

WateryRin2.jpg.7d9058f33b866b36247c96ae444751be.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet