LyricsGirl

Designer V 1.6. Windows Released August 2018 STILL not closing down

This problem occurred in Release 1.4....  and in 1.5. Information provided  stated it would be fixed in the next release and to perhaps use the latest BETA version instead.

Just D/l and installed released 1.6 and STILL cannot close the program. I get the message that a file is still being opened...

I use Win 10 Pro latest version. 16 Gig RAM on a 5 y.o. system that is  regularly maintained.

I will look into the  kernal of  the O/s next to see if there is something there causing the problem.

Thanks!

Hi LyricsGirl

I shall take it you definitely downloaded 1.6.5.123 and not 1.6.4 by mistake? This was supposed to be sorted but perhaps not. Next time you launch the app go to preferences > General and un-tick reopen last document on startup. You may need to quit via task manager again but after that it should stop the document from trying to open, thus allowing you to close the app normally

thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I have downloaded and installed the latest version. Refer to images. I can only  determine maybe something in the registry may be causing this? Or Windows.. ?

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Ok so I have located the  folder.. however it is a HUGE  86.9 GIGS!  File  in User / objectstyles.propcol is the largest at 61 GIGS.

Are there  particular  files I can zip and post instead?

Thank you so much!

Angela

I FIXED IT!!! YAY!!!!!!

I went through each file and checked them out.   There was a large file in the TEMP folder from last December.I deleted it and then opened & closed the program  including  creating documents  and closing.

Thank you. Now if it happens again I shall  know where to look first.!

1 hour ago, LyricsGirl said:

I FIXED IT!!! YAY!!!!!!

I went through each file and checked them out.   There was a large file in the TEMP folder from last December.I deleted it and then opened & closed the program  including  creating documents  and closing.

Thank you. Now if it happens again I shall  know where to look first.!

I could do with a copy of that file that you deleted, in order to find out what was going on. Do you still have it?

Just  pulled out of bin.. and Compressed it.

Should the Temp files  all be deleted on closing the program? I notice there are new files there from the  test ones i created this evening (my time).

5a3d7653.zip

2 minutes ago, LyricsGirl said:

Just  pulled out of bin.. and Compressed it.

Should the Temp files  all be deleted on closing the program? I notice there are new files there from the  test ones i created this evening (my time).

5a3d7653.zip

Hi, that link isn't working for some reason. Can you try attaching it again, or uploading to dropbox?

I`ve the same problem: AD 1.6.5.123  doesn`t close and the message is "...file currently being opened". In preferences "reopen" ist unchecked.

And I am not happy to try LyricsGirl`s  way (temp files) to solve this problem.

Hey guys, removing the TEMP FILE is O.K.   You will find the program closing   as it should. The temp file is  a working file that is useless to you as it is. Deleting it will NOT remove or break the program. Backups of the file are stored in Backups folder and Autosave folders. It may be caused by the way the  computers RAM chips flush volatile memory.It may be the way the program itself flushes temporary files or combination of both. We will have to await a bit longer as it seems with the release of the BETA of Publisher    staff are not looking here, but I am sure they will do shortly.  Another suggestion if you do not want to remove the temp. file/s is to (if in Windows) go to system APPS REMOVE ApPs Designer.You should be given a choice of either Remove or Repair.Try the Repair .If Repair is not shown as a choice then untill this is fixed just use Task Manager to close.

Thank you, I appreciate . Now it seems I have another problem! I have reset to factory settings, REPAIRED and rebooted. When I copy an image onto another one the size adj bounding box is solid and either has no moveable bounding box or it is some place else on the workplace. I shall try and figure it out. I am also assisting a couple of other (new) users too. Thanks for the Publisher program,  have removed it until I fix Designer. 

Appreciated!

Angela

Just had the same problem..with AD refusing to close (A first)

@LyricsGirl & @Mark Ingramsolution worked after forced exit..

2 files located in Temp folder:
1. I could delete;
2. the other refused move as was still in use

Forced quit with Task Manager to remove/delete file

AD opens again!:) 

Capture.JPG

AD 1.8.5.703+ Beta AD 1.9.0.767 | APh 1.8.5.703 + Beta AP 1.9.0.767
APu 1.8.5.703 +Beta Apu 1.9.0.742

OS:Windows 10 Pro 2004 OS Build 19041.508 + Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 20.5.1 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.40-2

20 hours ago, StuartRc said:

"2 files located in Temp folder"

Stuart, could you (or anybody else...) give me the name of these files or a hint? 

In my temp-folder I have two files which cannot be deleted...

5 minutes ago, Literaturix said:

Stuart, could you (or anybody else...) give me the name of these files or a hint? 

You might need to force-quit Affinity Photo, as it may have locked those files.

1 hour ago, Literaturix said:

The files are just alpha numeric names..Just Force Quit with Task Manager, select Affinity Designer and end task...then locate the folder mentioned in thread>move or delete the files. I just relocated them somewhere else in case they are needed (easy to put back!).and re-activate AD/AP..Process Straightforward and works fine....so far!:)

AD 1.8.5.703+ Beta AD 1.9.0.767 | APh 1.8.5.703 + Beta AP 1.9.0.767
APu 1.8.5.703 +Beta Apu 1.9.0.742

OS:Windows 10 Pro 2004 OS Build 19041.508 + Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 20.5.1 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.40-2

THATS IT :D:D:D

On 1/31/2018 at 5:19 AM, carl123 said:

Close Designer then see if you have any files in this folder

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\temp\

If so delete them

(You may want to copy them first as a backup, just in case)

Many thanks to user Carl123 :17_heart_eyes:!!!!

Mark Ingram:

I have the latest version of Affinnity Designer and this problem has just  Occurred again. It happened while I was creating image brushes in Pixel Persona. Before that  happened all was OK. I did have a blank page  open to test out some of the brush. I will delete the temp file if there is one. Any ideas? Thanks!