Brittney

Update Removed My Custom Content

I updated Affinity Photo to 1.6.5 just an hour or so ago. I had a rather large collection of custom content such as brushes, styles, palettes/swatches, macros, and some plugins. The only things that were kept within the program were my macros. Everything else was lost. The last update before this one did not do this, so I am assuming it is a bug.  (I'm wondering if there is any way to get these things back or if I have to count my losses.)

If you can roll back (Windows Restore) your PC to before the Affinity upgrade you can export your custom content then reimport it once you restore your PC back to all your latest updates

Next time back up your custom content just before you upgrade AP or set a Windows Restore point, just in case it goes horribly wrong.

Alternatively, if you do full backups of your PC you may be able to restore just the Affinity files that contained your custom content

Quite surprised that the update lost your custom content so wait for someone from support to respond to this thread before performing any of what I have suggested, there may be another way/explanation for what has happened.

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

13 hours ago, Brittney said:

The last update before this one did not do this, so I am assuming it is a bug. 

Do you have the beta version installed, too? If so, is it possible you installed your brushes, etc. into the beta rather than the release version?

The release version and the beta do not share those resources, so if you were using the beta when you installed them it would appear they had disappeared if you switch back to the release version.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

9 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

The update shouldn't have destroyed your previous content! We need to investigate this.

For sure! This is the first time it has happened. Hopefully someone will find an answer. 

14 hours ago, carl123 said:

If you can roll back (Windows Restore) your PC to before the Affinity upgrade you can export your custom content then reimport it once you restore your PC back to all your latest updates.

Does this work if the program is installed to a drive separate from the drive where windows is installed?

I know I have backups of the custom content somewhere... but the big issues are finding the backups and then installing them all one by one. Yikes. It would be nice if this is a bug that finds a solution.

9 hours ago, Brittney said:

Does this work if the program is installed to a drive separate from the drive where windows is installed?

Information like that may help the Devs track down what went wrong in your specific case.

9 hours ago, Brittney said:

I know I have backups of the custom content somewhere... but the big issues are finding the backups

If you have backups I would suggest using them rather than a system restore, but backups are not much use if you cant find and reinstall them easily

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.