You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Vuescan - Canon Lide 600f - and A.Designer

Has anyone tried to use black and white line art scans from a Canon Lide 600f scanner using Vuescan? I have been fighting for three days to get a simple piece of line artwork where I can drop out the white background and color the line. The only help I've been able to get from Vuescan is to go through the arduous task of changing each setting on the prescan settings until I find a combo that works. Have tried it in A-Photo as well but no luck there either. Any help would be appreciated.  

I have used Canon Lide (oldish model) with Vuescan. You probably do not get easily print ready quality direct from the scanner and you have to clean the scan in AP. Scan greyscale with enough resolution and use curves or levels tool to make black area thick enough and light area white, or you can apply Threshold adjustment layer direct. You can colour the work for example using a fill layer with suitable blend mode.

Old method of using 1-bit lineart and colouring it does not work in Affinity software.

I have to admit that scanning and editing black-and-white (1-bit) images (from VueScan) is now the only thing for which I use my legacy copy of Photoshop CS5.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630