Alex_M

Photo version 1.6.5 instant crashes when panning. Unusable.

I just installed version 1.6.5 of Photo and I found a nasty bug which makes the new version practically unusable.

To reproduce the bug:

1. Create a new document and then create a pixel layer.
  2. Activate the Paint Brush tool.
  3. Press Spacebar + Left Mouse Button and start panning around. Release Spacebar while still keeping Left Mouse Button pressed.
  4. Instant crash.

Please see the attached screenshot. The "Reference:" code at the bottom of the dialog box is always different in each crash.

How do I safely revert back to 1.6.4 without my user settings being reset/deleted?

photo_1.6.5_crash_when_panning.jpg

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 for Windows Windows 10 x64 1803  CPU AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.9 Ghz  RAM 32 GB GPU GTX 1080 ti 11GB NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB

Not on my system !! = normal behaviour ...

Affinity Photo  1.7.0.380 & 1.7.1.385 bèta

Windows 10 Home v 1809 (build 17763.437) - 64 bit processor - AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics  1.50GHz - RAM 8,00 GB
Calibrated Monitor (Datacolor Spyder5 Pro)

I could reproduce this issue; however, it was not at the first try. Now, since you use Windows, how about using the wheel of the Mouse for panning instead of the Spacebar?

Crash_01.png

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

Here's a video I captured (attached below). As you can see, it can be reproduced repeatedly every time.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 for Windows Windows 10 x64 1803  CPU AMD Threadripper 1950X @3.9 Ghz  RAM 32 GB GPU GTX 1080 ti 11GB NVMe SSD Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB

Do you have a mouse to try using the Mouse's wheel instead?

Best regards!

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

Yes I have a mouse wheel and can press it down as a middle button and no crash with it that way.  I just wanted to try with the space bar and left click to see if it crashed.

That seems to be the workaround.

Best regards!

3 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

That seems to be the workaround.

Best regards!

Not if you're using a pen tablet. I'm using a Wacom Intuos and panning is done by holding Spacebar and moving the pen across the surface which is basically an equivalent of Spacebar + Left Mouse Button and this results in the same crash.

I see. And changing your habits are out of question. We’ll have to wait until the Devs get this corrected.

Best regards!

Yes, quite a bit. please see attached.

photo_1.6.5_panning_CrashReports.7z

BTW, how do I safely revert back to 1.6.4 without losing my user settings?

28 minutes ago, Alex_M said:

Yes, quite a bit. please see attached.

photo_1.6.5_panning_CrashReports.7z

BTW, how do I safely revert back to 1.6.4 without losing my user settings? 

just uninstall 1.6.5 and reinstall 1.6.4 downloadable from the updates page

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

2 hours ago, Wojciech Krakowiak said:

I have similar issue on win10. It happens in brush tool, but only on empty pixel layer. If I draw something, I can drag the view without any problems. If I add empty layer and drag (spacebar + left click) and then release space bar, Photo crashes.

915a34f9-6b67-40d0-acdf-3eb5eb084f99.dmp

+1

Exactly the same happens on my system.

So this is dependant on the order you release the buttons. With any brush based tool if let go of the space bar first and then the click it will crash as soon as you release the click. If you release the click first and then let go of the space bar it should be fine

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

30 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

So this is dependant on the order you release the buttons. With any brush based tool if let go of the space bar fisrt and then the click it will crash as soon as you release the click. If you release the click first and then let go of the space bar it should be fine

Chris, you're right. That's exactly what happens. I have this problem for quite some time and that's my biggest problem with Photo. And I'm pretty sure that problem occurred for me in 1.6.4 as well. The problem is when you work with tablet, you should remove the pen from the tablet while still having the Space pressed (on keyboard or pen) and then release it, which is pretty awkward.

Hi all.

So ...by following the steps to reproduce the bug:

1. Create a new document and then create a pixel layer.
  2. Activate the Paint Brush tool.
  3. Press Spacebar + Left Mouse Button and start panning around. Release Spacebar while still keeping Left Mouse Button pressed.
  4. Instant crash.

Here Affinity Photo just istantly quit, with any kind of message! :-O

Windows 10 - 64 bit

Thanks @Zox, using this recipe build 1.6.4 also crashed and is not a regression in 1.6.5, but nevertheless a good catch.

@Alex_M please can you confirm that this represents your problem too and that 1.6.4 (that I think you reverted to) is no better for you.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.