Patrick Connor

Affinity Designer for Windows - 1.6.5

On 8/25/2018 at 9:18 AM, John D said:

I am having problems downloading the 1.6.5 Windows update as my security software is blocking the website being used for the update and will not allow me to authorise it.  Looking at the website address I suspect that this is not unreasonable - I can't even highlight the whole address to copy it.  Please advise me as to whether the problem lies with the address or my security software.  Cropped screen capture of blocking message attached

Yes, that looks like the correct link. 

Have you added support for Unicode fonts? I have to do a lot of work in Hindi Unicode fonts but they are not working properly the same also happens with Arabic Unicode fonts.

11 minutes ago, upendra169 said:

they are now working properly the same also happens with Arabic Unicode fonts.

Unicode fonts works but I think Serif does not support Open Type Indic Fonts. :(

Kind regards 

Arun

| WIN 8.1 64 | i3 | 4GB RAM | PP X9 | DP X8 | PHP X8 | AD 1.6 | APH 1.6 | APUB 1.7|

Hi,

so far the update is looking good, except for one thing. I don't know if this was deliberately removed, but I loved the possibility to select and edit previously drawn lines by pressing Ctrl. In this version, I can only edit the most recently drawn line and I have to either use the layers menu to select something else (which is far from ideal with a complex drawing) or switch to the node edit tool manually. 

So please can I have this feature back? :)

Kind regards, 

Zsolt

Still no Free Transform tool for selected nodes in a shape??

Still no stacking masks?

I'm pretty surprised at how limited the toolset is still in Affinity Designer.  My initial excitement at how simplistic AD is compared to Illustrator has completely dissolved.  Perhaps too many products over the different platforms has spread the team too thin.  

Can't recommend this app to anyone in it's current state and the snail's pace of development.  Hope things improve in the future, I'll come back periodically to check on your progress.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:51 AM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Left-to-right text is usually all left to right. Why should it be assumed that right-to-left text is going to involve mixed character directions, rather than being consistently right to left? o.O

Numbers within RTL text may be written LTR, for example.

pilcrow.eu
W10, i5 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 840A, Wacom Intuos 6 Pro

After watching Adobe MAX 2018 Keynote, when I see Real time blend mode preview on Photoshop, Multi-Point gradient on Illustrator, Smart responsive layout / plugin support / Voice interactions / lots of new features per month on Xd, and I turn around look at those features stay on roadmap for years, (sigh~), Good luck is the only word in my mind. If develop team doesn't focus on Designer right now, can't you just release some api for plugin developers? Anyway, I'll stay on Designer, for a while, hope to see some new things on it.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:44 AM, WaveF said:

After watching Adobe MAX 2018 Keynote, when I see Real time blend mode preview on Photoshop, Multi-Point gradient on Illustrator, Smart responsive layout / plugin support / Voice interactions / lots of new features per month on Xd, and I turn around look at those features stay on roadmap for years, (sigh~), Good luck is the only word in my mind. If develop team doesn't focus on Designer right now, can't you just release some api for plugin developers? Anyway, I'll stay on Designer, for a while, hope to see some new things on it.

Yeah, real time blend mode preview is awesome. Just like the one we have in Affinity for a long time now :D Voice interactions? Another gimmick like 3D and movie editing in Photoshop. Adobe keeps on bloating their software with nonsense. I dont want to talk to computer when I am working.
Adobe Xd is completely different software then Designer... Its for UI design. Theres a reason why it is separate software from Illustrator.

Can Designer use some new features? Sure. And I am sure it will. Should it be bloated with BS like voice commands? No, thank you.

For freaking EVER I had to go through loops and hoops to make inner shadow in illustrator. Such a simple thing. I ditched Illustrator for Designer and I rarely miss a thing. I have created crazy huge, multi-page documents in Designer - in Illustrator I could not even dream about it.

Adobe now is like Apple - they will present some simple feature in the way you will think they just reinvented and improved wheel. The best proof of this is that you are impressed by real time blend mode preview that Affinity had for a long time. But Adobe sells that to you with a fantastic presentation and you think it is something new. I just watched "whats new in Photoshop 2019" video to see if there is something that could much improve my workflow over Affinity Photo. The only features I would like to see in Photo are symmetry (took Adobe like 20+ years to get there too...) and slightly improved content aware fill. Thats it.
Same for Illustrator that has historically very poor updates. Whats new? Nice, freehand gradients, ok. Whats more? Ow look, global edits! fantastic! Its basically symbols from Affinity Designer. Another thing Adobe added now that you had already but they are selling it to you like Steve Jobs was selling Amazingness :D

I am not saying Affinity is perfect but after over 20 years of work on Adobe software I see through their BS and I am not paying them monthly to get gimmicks or something I have in Designer.