You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows - 1.6.5

Patrick Connor

On 8/25/2018 at 9:18 AM, John D said:

I am having problems downloading the 1.6.5 Windows update as my security software is blocking the website being used for the update and will not allow me to authorise it.  Looking at the website address I suspect that this is not unreasonable - I can't even highlight the whole address to copy it.  Please advise me as to whether the problem lies with the address or my security software.  Cropped screen capture of blocking message attached

Yes, that looks like the correct link. 

Hi,

so far the update is looking good, except for one thing. I don't know if this was deliberately removed, but I loved the possibility to select and edit previously drawn lines by pressing Ctrl. In this version, I can only edit the most recently drawn line and I have to either use the layers menu to select something else (which is far from ideal with a complex drawing) or switch to the node edit tool manually. 

So please can I have this feature back? :)

Kind regards, 

Zsolt

• 1 month later...

Still no Free Transform tool for selected nodes in a shape??

Still no stacking masks?

I'm pretty surprised at how limited the toolset is still in Affinity Designer.  My initial excitement at how simplistic AD is compared to Illustrator has completely dissolved.  Perhaps too many products over the different platforms has spread the team too thin.  

Can't recommend this app to anyone in it's current state and the snail's pace of development.  Hope things improve in the future, I'll come back periodically to check on your progress.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:51 AM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Left-to-right text is usually all left to right. Why should it be assumed that right-to-left text is going to involve mixed character directions, rather than being consistently right to left? o.O

Numbers within RTL text may be written LTR, for example.

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

After watching Adobe MAX 2018 Keynote, when I see Real time blend mode preview on Photoshop, Multi-Point gradient on Illustrator, Smart responsive layout / plugin support / Voice interactions / lots of new features per month on Xd, and I turn around look at those features stay on roadmap for years, (sigh~), Good luck is the only word in my mind. If develop team doesn't focus on Designer right now, can't you just release some api for plugin developers? Anyway, I'll stay on Designer, for a while, hope to see some new things on it.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:44 AM, WaveF said:

After watching Adobe MAX 2018 Keynote, when I see Real time blend mode preview on Photoshop, Multi-Point gradient on Illustrator, Smart responsive layout / plugin support / Voice interactions / lots of new features per month on Xd, and I turn around look at those features stay on roadmap for years, (sigh~), Good luck is the only word in my mind. If develop team doesn't focus on Designer right now, can't you just release some api for plugin developers? Anyway, I'll stay on Designer, for a while, hope to see some new things on it.

Yeah, real time blend mode preview is awesome. Just like the one we have in Affinity for a long time now :D Voice interactions? Another gimmick like 3D and movie editing in Photoshop. Adobe keeps on bloating their software with nonsense. I dont want to talk to computer when I am working.
Adobe Xd is completely different software then Designer... Its for UI design. Theres a reason why it is separate software from Illustrator.

Can Designer use some new features? Sure. And I am sure it will. Should it be bloated with BS like voice commands? No, thank you.

For freaking EVER I had to go through loops and hoops to make inner shadow in illustrator. Such a simple thing. I ditched Illustrator for Designer and I rarely miss a thing. I have created crazy huge, multi-page documents in Designer - in Illustrator I could not even dream about it.

Adobe now is like Apple - they will present some simple feature in the way you will think they just reinvented and improved wheel. The best proof of this is that you are impressed by real time blend mode preview that Affinity had for a long time. But Adobe sells that to you with a fantastic presentation and you think it is something new. I just watched "whats new in Photoshop 2019" video to see if there is something that could much improve my workflow over Affinity Photo. The only features I would like to see in Photo are symmetry (took Adobe like 20+ years to get there too...) and slightly improved content aware fill. Thats it.
Same for Illustrator that has historically very poor updates. Whats new? Nice, freehand gradients, ok. Whats more? Ow look, global edits! fantastic! Its basically symbols from Affinity Designer. Another thing Adobe added now that you had already but they are selling it to you like Steve Jobs was selling Amazingness :D

I am not saying Affinity is perfect but after over 20 years of work on Adobe software I see through their BS and I am not paying them monthly to get gimmicks or something I have in Designer.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this update, I'm a little late on this one.

I agree with both @nezumi and @WaveF. On one side we have Adobe adding a bunch of stuff no one needs/cares about, on the other side we have this four-years-old roadmap for Affinity Designer that is not getting done anytime soon. I'm still using AD for simple stuff or early project phase, but all my final work is done in PS.

I really o appreciate all the hard work put into Designer, Photo and Publisher, but it's obvious that Affinity is biting way more than it can chew. Start charging for updates, I don't know, find a way to get a larger team so development can move faster. The roadmap was posted in 2014! 4 years waiting for distort tool!

Hello Affinity team!

All your product are very very good, and also the iPad side is very promising, but honestly I agree with many other members here.

The roadmap was posted in 2014! 4 years waiting for distort tool and many other old requests!
Maybe you're biting way more than you can chew.

Also you should really put more effort in improving the overall stability of Photo and Designer on iPad.
These tool on iPad are are still too unstable for a seriously professional work.

And consider that I use a 12.9 2017 iPad Pro, so I should have no problem with the specs.

And also it's absurd that still a simple copy/paste between Photo and Designer on iPad doesn't work!
This is very annoying...

Thanks. I stay tuned.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, WaveF said:

You think what you saw in the main event was amazing? Then you really need to check what they have in the development... watch the video below. It literally blew my mind, I have no idea of how can this possibly be real.

Hello Affinity Team!

Although I echo some of the complaints of many users here, about the so long delay of new long awaited features, I THINK IT'S ALSO FAIR AND APPROPRIATE to point out what amazing things you have done for the whole artist community in the last 3 years!

It's right that we PRETEND from Affinity that they put their hands on a so long awaited to-do list, I think they MUST do it.

But it's also true that thanks to the Affinity' guys we were able to have a very very good tool set for 2D stuff, and at a VERY VERY LOW PRICE!!! :)
And also we were able to get the (I call it) "amazing duo" and the iPad: Affinity Photo and Designer for iOS!!!

And...last but not least, thanks to Affinity we were able to get rid of subscription software (Adobe and others)!!!

These products were really a GAME CHANGER for the entire artist community!!
I think we must not forget this.

I'am an Affinity customer for a long time, since the wonderful Serif Drawplus X5!!

They have always done very very good software.

So, c'mon Affinity Team, nails the throttle.
Improve Designer and Photo and give us again other happy days :)

Thanks!

Remember when Adobe Indesign 1.0 came out? It had certain features which its main rival QuarkXpress 4.0 lacked and vice versa. A couple of important features InD lacked were the ability to place type on a path and the creation of tables. These were rectified in the 1.5 update a year later.

I feel the Affinity range is in this stage right now. Remember, Adobe (probably) spends more on advertising and promotion than Serif does overall. No doubt Serif's game plan is to get all the apps up to the same 1.7 level and take on new features from there.

2 hours ago, iMatt said:

Remember when Adobe Indesign 1.0 came out? It had certain features which its main rival QuarkXpress 4.0 lacked and vice versa. A couple of important features InD lacked were the ability to place type on a path and the creation of tables. These were rectified in the 1.5 update a year later.

I feel the Affinity range is in this stage right now. Remember, Adobe (probably) spends more on advertising and promotion than Serif does overall. No doubt Serif's game plan is to get all the apps up to the same 1.7 level and take on new features from there.

AAMOF, I do remember that event. And when ver. 1.5 was released I was finally able to make the switch from PM and QX to InD.

I have the same feeling of excitement regarding AD that I had about InD. It was a revolutionary tool. I totally enjoy AD!

Applause on delivery. Enough waiting for years while listening to dreamers promising Wunderwaffe. Now 12 more months of waiting ahead. Plenty of time for posting dreams on this forum, eh?

Also a SCRUM quote this thread, you need it badly:

4. In order to validate value, release early and often
As I always share in my Professional Scrum Product Owner Trainings when we talk about Value, there is one thing that you as a Product Owner must remember: "You have to release a Product to customers/users, in order to find out if you have delivered value for them!". Unfortunately, I encounter a lot of Product Owners in daily practice, who think that 'working on the Product for just a couple more Sprints' will create a Product that customers/users will certainly love. Often, this results in a lot of disappointments... So, start validating value, by releasing to your customers and users early and often!

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 8/28/2018 at 6:46 PM, mesbahworld said:

Can't install . After double click nothing showing on the display !!

Have a similar problem - the installer is not loading and both Affinity Designer and Photo stopped working completely (after what I presume was a Win10 update I did not agree too) - Created post in a bug forum thread too - 

On 11/5/2018 at 1:20 AM, fernandolins86 said:

Thanks for this update, I'm a little late on this one.

I agree with both @nezumi and @WaveF. On one side we have Adobe adding a bunch of stuff no one needs/cares about, on the other side we have this four-years-old roadmap for Affinity Designer that is not getting done anytime soon. I'm still using AD for simple stuff or early project phase, but all my final work is done in PS.

I really o appreciate all the hard work put into Designer, Photo and Publisher, but it's obvious that Affinity is biting way more than it can chew. Start charging for updates, I don't know, find a way to get a larger team so development can move faster. The roadmap was posted in 2014! 4 years waiting for distort tool!

I'm in the same boat Fernando! There are still many little quirks about AD that prevents me to switch permanently from PS and it's missing a bunch of vector tools that prevents me from switching from AI (the list is pretty long so... yeah).

But instead I've switched all my Web Design work from PS to AI since I've got a 27" 4K display which I use at 150% scaling and everything in PS looks blurry at 150% zoom (which simulates the real size of the web).

But since the launch of the new iPad apps Serif is focusing more on those than on the Desktop apps which might give them an extra cashflow on short term and I'm guessing they'll switch a bit focus over the Desktop apps once the mobile ones are getting more stable. So we can only hope they get enough money to expand their team and get take care of that old roadmap :)

Check out my awesome Affinity Creations!

• 3 weeks later...

When is the next update...? You should post if you are NOT going to update anymore so I can move to another program. Is Affinity still in business?

For those looking for a work around ...  I am using Xara for distortion, blends, etc... basically all the tools that DrawPlus had.

6 minutes ago, jgarza said:

When is the next update...? You should post if you are NOT going to update anymore so I can move to another program. Is Affinity still in business?

For those looking for a work around ...  I am using Xara for distortion, blends, etc... basically all the tools that DrawPlus had.

fwiw, I use an Xara application as my daily driver.

The next release is in beta testing and once released it likely will be 1.7x.