You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows - 1.6.5

Patrick Connor

• Staff

Hi,

We are pleased to announce the Windows release of Affinity Designer , version 1.6.5

FIXLIST

The changes in Affinity Designer for Windows 1.6.5 over the last ADe  patch 1.6.4 are as follows:

- Fixed Document Setup dialog failing to show correct Height and Width values when switching between portrait modes
- Fixed incorrect colour from CMYK waterfall model
- Improve Microsoft Dial support
- Improve PDF import 
- Fixed resized floating panel not sticking when swapping to a different panel 
- Fixed crash when dragging artboards
- Fixed floating window panels to remember their width as well as height
- Fixed Colour Picker shortcut not working with Surface Pen 
- Improved performance of shutdown 
- Fixed Leading Override (Character panel) and Paragraph Leading (Paragraph panel) key modifier inconsistencies
- Fixed empty gap at the bottom of the font size dropdown 
- Fixed crash when we can't identify any font families in a font 
- Fixed Pen point being placed when panning with spacebar 
- Added missing "Scrubby Zoom”
- Fixed Space bar panning with the paintbrush tool placing nozzlesFixed tool handle selection with touch input 
- Fixed SVG export to avoid exporting spurious groups
- Fixed pressing escape key on font size context toolbar editor not returning focus
- Added option to prefer metafile over raster with per-application default (default to on)
- Fixed main window closing on second monitor not appearing at next start
- Fixed Adjustments panel starting below the visible window 
- Fixed Print dialog not defaulting to current selected artboard
- Fixed Transform panel fields losing focus when using arrow and shift+arrow keys to increment/decrement values
- Fixed intermittent crash when using the Pen Tool 
- Fixed drag dropping a PNG file into the document locks the file
- Fixed rendering issues with custom display scales between 125% and 150%
- Fixed crash pasting into Microsoft Paint
- Fixed dialogs not appearing on second monitor 
- Fixed margins not being set for new artboard documents 
- Fixed keyboard shortcuts becoming disabled after pressing Escape in the Pressure dialog 
- Fixed move up/down in the Assets Panel not correctly enabling after moving a category that is first or last 
- Fixed Embed Assets in Current Document selection state being reversed 
- Fixed colour conversion of bitmaps during vector export
- Fixed adjusting line pressure being laggy 
- Fixed deleting a node on the stroke pressure editor not updating the document
- Fixed New Document dialog not being aligned nicely
- Fixed rotating nodes not being remembered
- Fixed editing a Curves Adjustment preventing you from using Keyboard Shortcuts to add additional 
- Fixed unable to type after tabbing when editing a swatch value
- Fixed RGB slider field getting a dotted outline when tabbing into it 
- Fixed pressing delete with a stop selected on the Gradient Flyout deletes the object, not the stop
- Fixed sporadic crash when sizing text frames to fit
- Fixed editing a guide in Guides Manager not correctly changing selection 
- Fixed adding colour to swatch causes crash 
- Fixed shaking a floating panel minimizes other panels
- Fixed fill layers built-in masks are broken 
- Fixed export area dropdown not working like the macOS version 
- Fixed Pen tool to add snapping while restart dragging under Pen mode
- Numerous other fixes and stability improvements.

REGRESSIONS

There is one known regression in this build over the previous release 1.6.4 (available here), sorry for this inconvenience

- Artboards in embedded .afdesign file do not export to PDF

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Bugs on Windows section

For purchases from the Affinity Store the software, each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer any available update, or it can be downloaded from here

For purchases from the Microsoft Store are done automatically (next time you run after it is available in the store)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for the info @Patrick Connor.
Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• Staff
20 minutes ago, fakefield said:

thank you
but what about right to left language ?

fakefield

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. left to right support actually means mixed character directions by it's very nature and is going to need a lot of development time to implement correctly. This is something we plan to add but it may not even be in version 1.x sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

12 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

left to right support actually means mixed character directions

Left-to-right text is usually all left to right. Why should it be assumed that right-to-left text is going to involve mixed character directions, rather than being consistently right to left? o.O

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Left-to-right text is usually all left to right. Why should it be assumed that right-to-left text is going to involve mixed character directions, rather than being consistently right to left? o.O

This is actually a bit more complicated. Check for example how this case is treated in HTML5 spec and what problems has to be solved.

https://www.w3.org/TR/html50/text-level-semantics.html#the-bdi-element

30 minutes ago, Kamil Dyrek said:

This is actually a bit more complicated. Check for example how this case is treated in HTML5 spec and what problems has to be solved.

https://www.w3.org/TR/html50/text-level-semantics.html#the-bdi-element

Thanks for the link. For what it’s worth, the W3C Recommendation for HTML 5.1 (2nd Edition) was published in October of last year, but I don’t think there are any changes in relation to the the ‘bdi’ element.

https://www.w3.org/TR/html51/textlevel-semantics.html#the-bdi-element

Alfred spacer.png

10 minutes ago, CBosman said:

Hi, thank you guys for the hard work and the update, I have a small problem though. I downloaded the update and it doesn't want to install. Is anyone else having the same problem?

No problems here. What error message(s) do you get? Have you tried rebooting your PC before running the installer?

Alfred spacer.png

Hi Alfred, thank you for the reply. It's not giving me any error msgs. I have rebooted my pc and it still doesn't want to install. it looks like the little loading wheel starts loading and then nothing....hope I'm making sense?

Hello, I also had to install several times: each time I launched the.exe file I was directed to the download page of this file. The installation was only done on the fourth attempt I think and was very, very long. This is the first time I've had a problem like this.

4 minutes ago, reglico said:

Hello, I also had to install several times: each time I launched the.exe file I was directed to the download page of this file. The installation was only done on the fourth attempt I think and was very, very long. This is the first time I've had a problem like this.

I've tried multiple times and still nothing. Also, my first time having a problem

11 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Thanks for the link. For what it’s worth, the W3C Recommendation for HTML 5.1 (2nd Edition) was published in October of last year, but I don’t think there are any changes in relation to the the ‘bdi’ element.

Strictly speaking bidi is not required for rtl documents. But it is very common to support bidi for any application that supports rtl to support bidi too. Many documents, especially those of mixed languages where one is a ltr, need bidi support.

Maybe you should try downloading the file again, the one you got may be corrupted. That's what I thought I would do, but the installation was finally done.

Just now, reglico said:

Maybe you should try downloading the file again, the one you got may be corrupted. That's what I thought I would do, but the installation was finally done.

I downloaded it a few times to see if that would work and it's still not working. I don't understand this is the first time I've had a problem

Have you tried right-clicking on the file and "Run as administrator"? (I'm not sure about the translation). If that doesn't work, I'm sure someone at SERIF can help you with that.

21 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Strictly speaking bidi is not required for rtl documents.

Thanks, Mike. Those are pretty much my thoughts, too, which is why I wrote:

12 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

However, I agree with your further observations:

But it is very common to support bidi for any application that supports rtl to support bidi too. Many documents, especially those of mixed languages where one is a ltr, need bidi support.

My point was really that although there should ideally be bidi support, there are likely to be many users who would be quite happy with RTL support on its own.

Alfred spacer.png

10 hours ago, reglico said:

Have you tried right-clicking on the file and "Run as administrator"? (I'm not sure about the translation). If that doesn't work, I'm sure someone at SERIF can help you with that.

Hi Reglico, I've also tried that yes, but with that, it gives me the little pop up asking for permission and after I click yes nothing...

• Staff
2 hours ago, CBosman said:

Hi Reglico, I've also tried that yes, but with that, it gives me the little pop up asking for permission and after I click yes nothing...

I know it sounds simple, but have you tried restarting your machine and trying again? If so, please start a new thread in the Questions section and we'll help you further.

20 minutes ago, Leigh said:

I know it sounds simple, but have you tried restarting your machine and trying again? If so, please start a new thread in the Questions section and we'll help you further.

Hi Leigh,

I have tried restarting my laptop, I can try again if you think that might help? Sorry, I know this will sound silly but where is the Questions section?

• Staff
13 minutes ago, CBosman said:

Hi Leigh,

I have tried restarting my laptop, I can try again if you think that might help? Sorry, I know this will sound silly but where is the Questions section?

Ok, thanks for confirming :) 

The Questions section can be found here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-mac-and-windows/ 

Thank you for the extensive update (bug fix)...especially the Pen crashing;but more importantly all the hard work....:)

AD installation (update) Smooth and without error...
AD from Microsoft Store also smooth installation (became available 30 mins ago!) Still waiting on AP

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

I am having problems downloading the 1.6.5 Windows update as my security software is blocking the website being used for the update and will not allow me to authorise it.  Looking at the website address I suspect that this is not unreasonable - I can't even highlight the whole address to copy it.  Please advise me as to whether the problem lies with the address or my security software.  Cropped screen capture of blocking message attached

Affinity update block.png