Export a transparent png

Is there any way to export to a transparent png?

I have my document background set to transparent yet when I export to png the background of the image is white not transparent.

Also the matte option doesn’t allow you to change to transparent, you can only select a color value.

7DE186AB-D2A0-4561-9610-669C50CF5366.png

iPad Pro 9.7” (A1674), Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45

On 8/22/2018 at 7:20 AM, GabrielM said:

First, you would have to go to Document > Canvas > Transparent Canvas. 

Next, you can export it as PNG - leaving the Matte colour as it is. 

There is a switch next to the Matte color button. With that off & a transparent canvas, Affinity Photo exports a PNG with a transparent background even if I set a matte color by tapping on the Matte button. After exporting, the Matte color button returns to white -- any color setting made with the Matte button is not saved. (I am fine with that.)

1123079194_PNGmatteswitch.jpg.468c7e97d025c6a59ed70382f798c5b6.jpg

Affinity Photo 1.9.3, Affinity Designer 1.9.3, Affinity Publisher 1.9.3;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.92.236 & Affinity Designer 1.9.2 (showing 1.9.9) for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 14.4 (18D52)

• 2 years later...

“Hi,

I am also trying to export a PNG with a transparent background. The tutorial shows I can select this option under the AREA tab (choosing between “whole image” or “selection with background”. But when I attempt to export, this AREA tab option is grayed out and not accessible to me. I am a bit frustrated that I can’t figure out how to just export easily with transparent background. I am new to Design so any help would be much appreciated.

23 minutes ago, Salus said:

I am also trying to export a PNG with a transparent background.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:10 PM, Phil K. said:

I have my document background set to transparent yet when I export to png the background of the image is white not transparent.

Note that the iOS viewer has a white canvas so your image with transparent background will appear to have a white background. Try using Documents (Readdle app) viewer and you will see transparent background.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB   lpadOS 14.4 Apple Pencil (1st gen), Affinity Photo 1.9.0.218,  Affinity Photo beta1.9, Affinity Design 1.9.3, Affinity Designer beta 1.9.20, still waiting for Publisher for iPad

Download Help files:

Affinity Photo 1.9.2-help.pdf Affinity_Designer_Help_File_1.9.1.zip

• 3 months later...