You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Multi] Sticky Settings

I wish it would remember settings from session to session of small things like the last chosen brush, whether cloning and healing brushes were aligned or not (I rarely use aligned, yet it's the default), clone source (current layer, current and below, etc), the jpg quality slider setting, and I'm sure there are lots of others. 

• 1 month later...

I second mredig - I have spent so much time to search a saved or exported file because I forgot to select the appropriate folder!

At least it would help if the path or folder would be displayed in the top window bar. Currently I have to switch to XnView to check where the original is located... on an old Mac it is kind of frustrating.

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's not kosher to +1 your own request, but I felt it was worth reiterating the importance of this small detail. 

EVERY time I use the clone tool, I expect to have a medium sized brush with pen tablet pressure size dynamics enabled, the hardness of the brush to be low, align to be turned off, and clone all layers enabled. Instead, I have to manually set those every time. This is annoying and actually takes a lot more time than you would expect it to. Remember, defaults are not fit for everyone!

Additionally, changing brushes and brush details is a lot easier in Photoshop with being able to right click anywhere in the canvas to change some of the basic stuff, and a simple keyboard shortcut (F5 I believe is the default?) to open more advanced brush settings.

According to some earlier posts by the Moderators the stacked tools are supposed to remember the last used tool and that should be at the top of the stack the next time APB is opened. This is not working as of the latest beta, but I think it is on their list.

It would be nice to be able to define what should be the default, but the idea of defining the default and having the software remember the last used seem to be in conflict.

It would be nice to be able to define what should be the default, but the idea of defining the default and having the software remember the last used seem to be in conflict.

There wouldn't really be much of a conflict, as there are important distinctions between the two. However, given the choice of one or the other, I'd choose last used. In terms of UX, I would have to go out of my way to set defaults, whereas last used would flow seamlessly into your workflow.

That being said, I wouldn't complain about having the option for a default where one of the options could be "last used". The real catch would be implementing that without clunking up the interface. Perhaps add an advanced tab to the preferences where it has minute details like this? 

What I was trying to say, perhaps inelegantly, was that there would have to be a defined protocol as to which of two perhaps different values the software would implement. So, for example, if you set the default value for the Mesh/Perspective Tools to be Perspective (as I would since that is what I use the most) you would expect that, upon starting APB, Perspective would be at the top of the Tool Stack. But if you had last used Mesh, then you would expect Mesh to be at the top. Hence there would need to be some standard defined way for APB to decide between the two.

Nothing very complex in what I was trying to say, just that there is an implicit conflict that would have to be addressed. Personally I would like it to work like this:

1) Define the default tool for a Tool Stack. When APB opens that tool is at the top of the stack and, hence, is the default.

2) Once APB has been opened, and until it is closed, the last used tool would be the default. Thus, if you opened image A, used Tool X from a tool stack, then opened image B, Tool X would still be the default, regardless of the defined default.

3) Once APB was closed the default would return to the defined tool.

Of course since I am not doing the work it is easy for me to make these kind of suggestions. As they used to say where I worked "Nothing is impossible to the person who does not have to do the work".

Plus one on sticky settings.

Posted recently something similar about the Crop tool remembering which Setting I've used.

I don't want to choose it each time when working with my pictures. I use the "Original Ratio" 99% of the time and I have to rechoose it always.  It always stays ons the default " Unconstrained"

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I don't think I saw this in the Affinity Photo future Roadmap. But this should REALLY be incorporated in the "usability" improvements.

I'm starting to work and practice with the App store's final release to make myself familiar but it's a hassle to click and rechoose every tools's settings again  and again in every new photo I open. My usual workflow: 

- Open a photo and crop it. Please Keep it in the last setting I used . It always defaults to Unconstrained... 

- Go to Develop Persona and check the Clipped highligts. I have to turn this setting ON every time..

- Use the clone or healing brush... if I switch between them I have to choose  my soft edged brush again. It always defaults to hard edged.

- If i chose a section tool It always defaults to no antialias. I wanta  1 pixel feather and Antialias ALL of the time

the list goes on an on... you get it  ;). That's a LOT of extra clicks that adds up...

I have all the tools I need in Affinity it's great but this is really a productivity killer. Please add this as soon as you can.

Thank for listening to us.

fjv

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

• 3 weeks later...

I second mredig - I have spent so much time to search a saved or exported file because I forgot to select the appropriate folder!

At least it would help if the path or folder would be displayed in the top window bar. Currently I have to switch to XnView to check where the original is located... on an old Mac it is kind of frustrating.

An easy way to jump/navigate folders (in mac) is just to drag the folder you want your project saved in, into the Save dialogue box, and the save dialogue box jumps there instantly!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes not only sticky settings but sticky dialogue box position. Photo is strangely inconsistent about this. Some dialogues pop up where you last left them but some refuse to do this and resolutely pop up in the bottom right corner every time. It would be nice if all dialogues could remember where you like to put them.

• 5 months later...

Hello. 

Just wondering if the sticky settings are getting implemented in the 1.5 release. I know we are getting new "exciting" features to play with but still need the "boring" ones to be implemented and be productive in the day to day.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

• 2 months later...

This has been a hot topic for ages and is being gradually implemented. I will make only the following remarks.

Settings should, as much as possible, be sticky not just within a single session but from one session to the next.

All tool settings should be sticky. 

All dialogue positions should be sticky.

Many dialogue settings such as Re-Size could be sticky as well. (This one is my pet hate. It defaults to Nearest Neighbour - probably the least likely option ever to be used in an app that is principally for photographic images! I have to remember to change it every time I use the dialogue.)

This has been a hot topic for ages and is being gradually implemented. I will make only the following remarks.

Because of the finger cracking workflow I hardly use Affinity anymore. Its like starting all over or going back to elementary school for rudimentary processes every time when I work on a document. My life time is too valuable to waste it on software that doesn't do logical processes any other software can do.

Simple as that.

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

• 1 month later...

Hello... sorry for my english. :-)

Did I understand, that the sticky settings should be implemented? I can not see this. I have work yesterday the first time with this programm. I use simply two tools, the Flood-Select-Tool (And everytime, I forget to unmark the "Contigous"-Checkbox, because its mark by default.) and then I need the same shadow on different object on different layers. But the settings on the effects-section forgett everytime my settings and starts with "0".

(OK, the program remembers the save and load directory. But only at once. When I use different directorys, I have to switch everytime....)

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. sorry to bother again with this. 6 months later from my last post here. 

But any advance on the Real implementation of the sticky settings? What DavidMac and toyotadesigner say sums it up. Could this be one of the things up in the priority list for the 1.6 release..? 

REALLY needed for professionals to adopt the software. 

I understand if you are saving some things for the probable 2.0 paid upgrade sometimes later this year ( which I will gladly pay for to support development). But this is a pretty basic everyday thing needed, which probably has no marketing value like HDR and megapixelsuper 4K stuff  :P

Thanks for the great Adobe alternative. You are helping all.

---------

By the way as a side story:  I'm a 25 year old Photoshop User (yes version 2, 2.5) so leaving a well known software is REALLY hard. In January I downloaded Sketch for Mobile App and UX Design and loved it after seeing a workflow video + 1 hour of testing I made the decision to buy it (and more important, use it).

It is now a mature piece of software at version 4.something, but now I'm using it exclusively for that specialized work instead of Photoshop and couldn't be happier I decided too make the switch. I rave about it with all the clients and looks like I'm a seller for Bohemian Coding.

I want to integrate Affinity/Serif Software into my 2017 workflow (Even if v2 is needed for this, I am patient.  :) ) and evangelize it to other clients like I do for Sketch now. Just remember that the little polished details make people use your software and not just download it, test it, say meh and delete it after finding some simple workflow thing missing.

In my opinion the big words marketing features are really rarely needed for the day to day work.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com