You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Multi] Sticky Settings

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Know you guys are busy but it's been 2+  years since this thread was started...  :(

Please don't send this to the bottom of the pile....

Plus one on sticky settings.

Posted recently something similar about the Crop tool remembering which Setting I've used.

I don't want to choose it each time when working with my pictures. I use the "Original Ratio" 99% of the time and I have to rechoose it always.  It always stays ons the default " Unconstrained"

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

My guess is that AP with never be finished, because of the new apps for iPads and the Windows version. Appears to me as if Serif just wanted to shoot a hot balloon into the Adobe sphere...

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

• 4 months later...

I see that with 1.6 out, yet this still isn't addressed. 

I struggle to understand how a program can be written from scratch, but something as basic as tool settings is not remembered between each session.

It's a real shame because it's such a nice program to use but this "bug" (yes it's a bug) really takes the polish off. It's quite frustrating to use the inpaint tool only to release it's reverted back to "current layer". Most tools in Affinity Photo suffer the same issue. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2015 at 9:02 AM, velarde said:

Plus one on sticky settings.

Posted recently something similar about the Crop tool remembering which Setting I've used.

I don't want to choose it each time when working with my pictures. I use the "Original Ratio" 99% of the time and I have to rechoose it always.  It always stays ons the default " Unconstrained"

Hello and happy new year .

Just saw the 1.7 sneak peak videos. Looks good but just wanted to give a little nudge to this so it doesn't get forgotten...

I know a little bit has been addressed in these years but how about adding even MORE support for sticky settings all around the apps?

Specially on the Crop tool Mode/Aspect ratio  would be a great help.

Thanks

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

• 5 months later...

(Thought I'd add this here as it seems to fall into the 'sticky settings' area.)

Export settings  Just a small thing but I would like the export dialogue to remember what 'Area' settings (Whole document, Selection with background etc) were used from the last export. It currently remembers 'File type' (PNG, JPEG etc) and 'Preset' (...for print, ...for web etc) but 'Area' always defaults back to Whole document.

export.png

v2.4.0 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.3.1

• 2 months later...

When I add a radial gradient to a live filter to mask it, sorta like a vignette, then do something else briefly, then decide I want the gradient to be a bit smaller, I have to change the type from None to Radial again, and the second color stop from light gray back to black, even tho I just used these settings a minute ago and didn't create any other gradients. It seems like it should remember the most recently used settings, at least within the same session. It's a problem with other tools as well for me.

♥️Affinity v2; macOS 14; ⌨️🖱; recreational user since 2014.

• 11 months later...

I'll just paste my message from the other forum. I can't believe that this has been a request for so long, and still is not implemented. 

Please, Serif, it's very annoying when the settings don't stick, and the workflow gets needlessly cluttered.

I hope that this gets addressed soon. The Affinity programs need to remember the settings for tools, filters, export settings etc. IMO, it's common sense that you don't need to repeat basic things over and over again when working with professional software.

• 6 months later...

Totally agree. I cannot teach with Affinity as this is just a non-starter. I don't know how important it it for photography, but for art and design (especially comcis) it is crucial.

Just a tiny example- coloring

Select area- click lasso tool, it doesn't work with a tablet, why? Oh polygonal is not selected. 

-Select polygonal.

Start selection, add to selection, doh! It defaulted to New

-Select Add

Sample color to fill selection

-click paintbucket

It's selected gradient fill for some reason, 

-click until you get the paintbucket

Fill the area, woah, it filled more than the solid color I clicked on

-adjust tolerance to 2 or 0 instead of the default of 20

Fill the selection

Switch to lasso- what? Everything has been reset to default. 

How am I supposed to give these instructions to students? Answer, I can't. If it doesn't work, they go to some freebie software on their phone and their work looks lousy.

The end.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Unbelievable: even after 6 years, Serif has still not managed to save at least the tool settings for each user individually!

This is just a joke for all loyal users! And the Affinity Apps are still promoted as a serious alternative to Adobe. Simply embarrassing and extremely disappointing!

You really can't work efficiently with Affinity apps any more.

• 6 months later...

Another request for some of the tool settings to be sticky. Every time I open AP to do a quick dust fix on some scans, I have to change the healing brush back to aligned, which is the way I almost always use it. It wouldn't be that big a deal, except that I'm used to PS keeping the setting, so it sometimes takes me a mistake or two to realize that I need to set that option again.

Thanks. Even though I've had AP for several years, I'm only now delving into it, as is a pro-photographer friend who I also convinced to give it a try. It's a great program.