You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Phil_rose

Yes, the perpective is strange, it seems larger on the top than at the bottom. Perhaps you should desaturate the background (really nice texture!) so the phone would be more visible and come back as the more important part (for now, the background is too much of a distraction).

The next question is: does it levitate, ready to go in your hand? :)  (I can't see anything between the phone and the marquetry).

Neat!, but I think that you are going to have to cheat a little with the reflections. What may be possible in real life becomes to stark in the drawing...which is quite good.

The background makes my eyes go into optical illusion land a bit too. Cause me to see a bend in the bottom that doesn’t exist. I notice that when I cover the bottom (the panel with the LG logo) that most of the ‘errors’ go away. 

Oh, and shouldn’t the LG logo be more round?

12 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Yes, the perpective is strange, it seems larger on the top than at the bottom. Perhaps you should desaturate the background (really nice texture!) so the phone would be more visible and come back as the more important part (for now, the background is too much of a distraction).

The next question is: does it levitate, ready to go in your hand? :)  (I can't see anything between the phone and the marquetry).

I'll look at all these but yes, it floats over to you when it rings. It's a VERY advanced phone!

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

The shadow is too much at the base of the phone, Shadows are generally darker and sharper near the object, so less blurred, and they are softer away from the phone, so at the base the shadow should be finer and darker so you can only just see the shadow cast but it has that almost no light look. Making a shadow like this would connect the phone to the worktop. If there was something underneath the phone like a box or book that it was leaning against it would help with perspective and also give a more realistic physicality.  

Having said all that, you are steam-rollering the learning curve.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The shadow is too much at the base of the phone, Shadows are generally darker and sharper near the object, so less blurred, and they are softer away from the phone, so at the base the shadow shadow should be fine and darker so you can only just see the shadow cast but it has that almost no light look. Making a shadow like this would connect the phone to the worktop. If there was something underneath the phone like a box or book that it was leaning against it would help with perspective and also give a more realistic physicality.  

Having said all that, you are steam-rollering the learning curve.

You're absolutely right! I couldn't work out why it didn't look as though it was real or rather, really there. I'll try to fix that and repost. This is fun! Thanks for the kind words. I want to learn more about using masks to simulate more complex lighting next. 

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

On 8/22/2018 at 11:42 AM, Phil_rose said:

You're absolutely right! I couldn't work out why it didn't look as though it was real or rather, really there. I'll try to fix that and repost. This is fun! Thanks for the kind words. I want to learn more about using masks to simulate more complex lighting next. 

Is this any better? I feel like the shadow looks more like a reflection. Bummer! What do you think?

LG G5.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

Re the shadow on the phone it needs to be tighter to the base, like really, really close so its almost a black line, when you get that, the phone will connect to the worktop and look like its sitting on the surface instead of floating.

Another point on shadows is to consider where the light is coming from, this is generally from above (indoor lighting) or from the side through a window. When indoors with a ceiling light on, a shadow would not fade to nothing unless the object casting the shadow was far from the surface the shadow is being cast onto. Even though your phone is tilted upwards and away from the worktop it will still cast quite a solid shadow with a light from above, you can test this theory out by positioning your phone in a similar manner to the image you have created and having a light on that is above the phone. The second test is to site the phone near a window. On a dull day the shadow would be softer but still visible for much of the length of the phone, on a bright day the shadow will be much more defined. All of these things add realism, we automatically know when something is off, we can't always quite place it but when we look at something we know it doesn't make sense. 

Observation and the study of lights interplay is key here, how many people really look at something, study the light, reflections, shadows, colours and how they all interact with each other.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions