You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. Okay I am doing a UNI course that requires the use of Illustrator, now I cant afford that crap so I came and got your program. What I'm wondering is. Is there a way to start work in Affinity and continue it on Illustrator? I ask because I can take work from Illustrator and continue it on Affinity at home just fine but if I start something in Affinity is says its corrupted or an unsupported file when I'm at uni using their program. I tried taking a laptop with me but my battery life is screwed up (don't ask). Which leaves me with using their computers and Illustrator. But I cant seem to open work started in Affinity.. Is this a common issue or am I just that unlucky?

I have attached the File that isn't opening in Illustrator. I have it stored on OneDrive where I keep my other files including Illustrator files completed in class. I have attached one of these assessments as well. The one I created in illustrator opens in both programs The Anthropology one only opens in Affinity. I tried to save it in an alternate file format but I only file format choice I have is (Affinity File).

Anthropology_Assessment_Storyboard.afdesign

Assessment 1 Rangeboard Boys Pjs.ai

• Staff

I was about to say the same thing. Export it as PDF(for export) and import them back to illustrator. I'm afraid that is the only option as we cannot export to native .AI files. 

Also, make sure your .AI has "PDF compatible file" ticked when you export. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can not import. It has no option to do that in illustrator. Not that I or my lecturer could find. What bothers me is that I can start a project in illustrator and continue it on Designer but once I save I can not reopen it in illustrator. I would just buy a tablet and use that but you don't make Designer for the tablet :(

• Staff
2 hours ago, Galvertron said:

I would just buy a tablet and use that but you don't make Designer for the tablet

We do. We have got it available for iPad. 

If you attach the PDF you exported from Designer and fails to import to Illustrator we can have a look for you. 

You have to expect some loss when transferring a file back and forth between different apps and just because both are vector oriented doesn't mean they are the same, its not very realistic to expect Affinity to retain all the features that are specific to Illustrator any more than Illustrator can retain any features that are specific to Affinity Designer, there will be some middle ground and that is where the PDF format comes in, Affinity will use the PDF portion of an .AI .EPS .PSD to retain as much info for cross-compatibility as possible but you have to apply some common-sense.  

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions