You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a color image that I want to reduce the color on. It is too saturated. I don't want Black & White but less color so it approaches black & black. The topic in the Help for Selective Color Adjustment is not helpful. It doesn't say where to find the Selective Color adjustment.

9 hours ago, sharpart said:

The topic in the Help for Selective Color Adjustment is not helpful. It doesn't say where to find the Selective Color adjustment.

Like the other adjustments, it is on the Layer > New Adjustment Layer sub-menu, on the Adjustments popup at the bottom of the Layers Studio panel, & in the Adjustment Studio panel as the Selective Color "Default" preset.

I am not sure how it works on Windows, but on Macs if you type "Selective" into the Help menu search field, it will show you the menu item if you hover the pointer over the indicated item:

1129069392_searchhelp.jpg.e241882f64643003269cb134edaae254.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If it is a Windows machine, press Ctrl + U. That is the keyboard shortcut to open the HSL Adjustment.

Do as @owenrsuggests and move the slider to the left.

You can tweak the colours while you are at it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

All good answers! The HSL adjustment is just what I needed. Thanks toltec, owner, R C-R.

As far as I can tell, if one doesn't know this, the Help doesn't help in finding how to do it. It does say what each slider does, but not how to get there.

2 minutes ago, sharpart said:

All good answers! The HSL adjustment is just what I needed. Thanks toltec, owner, R C-R.

As far as I can tell, if one doesn't know this, the Help doesn't help in finding how to do it. It does say what each slider does, but not how to get there.

As you say, unless you know what to search for (and how to spell it) help files are not as much 'Help' as the name suggests ;)

I remember in the early days trying to put white text on a black background. Basic stuff you would think but I searched pretty much the whole manual (I told you it was the early days) and eventually found it under 'Inverse Video' O.o  ???

That just has to be a software engineer's description xD

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 years later...
On 8/20/2018 at 4:19 PM, sharpart said:

I have a color image that I want to reduce the color on. It is too saturated. I don't want Black & White but less color so it approaches black & black. The topic in the Help for Selective Color Adjustment is not helpful. It doesn't say where to find the Selective Color adjustment.

+1 on the help files skipping the most important part - how to find the tool or panel.  They all start explaining how to use the sliders and such FROM THE POINT that you already have found the function and have the panel open or tool selected.  As a long-time graphic application user, I don't need help files to learn basic tool use; I need them to learn about the way Affinity organizes its tools.  Very difficult to find stuff in this program, and the help files are useless in that regard.  Thank goodness for forum helpers!