You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I’m a newbie, but I have fun trying to make some vector brushes.. 

so my question, if I’m making a new document, for making a brush, what would be a good size to make the document? 

So the things I’m drawing will fit best in the brush editor? :-) 

does this make sense? :-) 

That is a good question. and makes perfect sense...

If you are building vector brushes in AD it's not the size of the document but the dimensions of the slices that you export that is important. The original ones I created were quite elongated and narrow (2000x300px) really reflecting what I had seen developed in tutorials. After a lot of experimentation I found that this was not necessary. The slice/Brush Size can be much smaller. 

Recent brushes have been created using a variety of sizes. Set up an AD template (A4/A3 size not that important) with export slices at around 1000 x 300px with guides to highlight their position.  I tend to use this as a base and adjust export sizes as necessary and depending on the nature of the brush; some brushes work better with a greater height others with greater width. You also need to consider how much variation of texture/patterning you want along the brush. Vector Brushes give considerable advantage in this area.

Template Considerations
Colour

Work White/shades of grey on Black Background (negative image)

Slice Sizes+Output
Common Sizes  I personally use as a base:
1000x400px (output 1x and 0.50x)
1000x 300px (output 1x and 0.50x)
1000x 200px (output 1x and 0.50x)
1000x180px (output 1x and 0.50x)

but not really restricted to any of these.

Output
Now tending  to set PNG output without ICC profile and active Palettized with 256 Greyscale (You could probably get away with less!) to reduce the file size as vector brushes can get large.

Once the slices are set up you can use export persona to add different sizes. To keep the file size smaller Exporting as .PNG 

Once you start testing a Vector Brush may need to adjust size of image downwards (hence create 2 sizes initially) as brushes at 1000px can feel a  bit 'sluggish' on screen..if so use smaller image.

Hope this helps...hope you have as much fun as I did creating them.:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

Thanks a lot!! :-) This was very helpful for me! I’ll experiment a little and see what comes out of it.. so far I have a lot of fun! :-) 

I design the brushes both on AD and Procreate.. 

I have one more question, but it’s better with picture/video explaining, so I’ll come back to that if I may? :-) 

thanks again, really appreciate your well explaining post :-)