You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for Canon's .CR3 file format

hi,

I've been using Affinity since April. I upgraded my camera to the 90D, and I found that 1.7 doesn't support CR3.

I've downloaded and installed the 1.8 beta as per instructions in this thread and CR3 image thumbnails indicate they are registering showing a "Affinity Beta" logo but when I try and open it in 1.8, I get an error "This file type is not supported."

I'd be very interested in knowing what's happening here, thanks.

• Staff

Hi Riff,

Welcome to the forums :)

CR3 support has been added to the 1.8 beta, however this is only limited at this time. We hope to include support for your camera model in a future update, keep an eye on our beta forum for the latest updates!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Although we've added support for certain CR3 files unfortunately the 90D's aren't currently supported - CR3 files are different from most RAW formats and this is why you're seeing the file not supported error when opening your specific CR3's.

This is already logged with our developers and should be improved in a future beta :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

No problem at all!

This changes depending on many variables, but as a general rule it's usually around 1-2 months - but we don't release a version until we're happy with it so this has been extended past this previously.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've been using Affinity with my Canon EOS 750d and I'm quite happy. I felt no need for going to the Adobe family so far. 

However, I'm considering getting an EOS R soon and got surprised at the fact that Affinity doesn't yet support .CR3 files. Let us know when you have a newer version that supports these files please!

• 3 weeks later...

So further to my previous message I thought I would check out your new beta 1.8.0 and was disappointed to see that new cameras have been added to the RAW support list except my camera (EOS M50) that I just bought isn't on your list.... The camera has been out for over a year now, nearly two.

EOS M50 Missing.PNG

Edited by alanmakestuff

On 11/1/2019 at 11:54 AM, Claudio M said:

got surprised at the fact that Affinity doesn't yet support .CR3 files

There is something about the CR3 format that has made it difficult for others to implement support for; many programs (particularly open-source ones) seem to be struggling with adding support for this format, it is not just the Affinity products.

See here especially also what "Iliah Borg" said related to that libraw version ...

... so a little bit of patience is needed until Affinity checks and adapts that for an upcoming beta accordingly.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

16 hours ago, alanmakestuff said:

So further to my previous message I thought I would check out your new beta 1.8.0 and was disappointed to see that new cameras have been added to the RAW support list except my camera (EOS M50) that I just bought isn't on your list.... The camera has been out for over a year now, nearly two.

EOS M50 Missing.PNG

I have the Beta 1.8 and it definitely opens raw files from my M50, it works really well. Maybe they just haven't updated the new cameras list yet.

Untitled.jpg

On 11/18/2019 at 7:16 AM, v_kyr said:

until Affinity checks and adapts that for an upcoming beta accordingly.

One of the Serif team members indicated on another thread that their CR3 support does not come from libraw; they are developing that support based on information they received from Canon.

52 minutes ago, fde101 said:

One of the Serif team members indicated on another thread that their CR3 support does not come from libraw; they are developing that support based on information they received from Canon.

Don't know, but I doubt this.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2