You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for Canon's .CR3 file format

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is for the desktops but am going to chime in here too for iOS. Not that iPadOS supports RAW images, I would like to see this in iPadOS as soon as possible! I am trying to get away from desktops and laptops and imagine there are many more like me that  are trying to edit CR3 files. 

what is the timeline for this?

• Staff

Hi Bobbybob :)

Our apps on iOS use the Apple Core RAW engine, meaning support for certain file types/cameras is controlled by Apple and not ourselves.

AFAIK, CR3s are currently supported on iPad, but only certain camera models - you can see the full RAW list here - https://support.apple.com/HT208967

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

8 hours ago, Bobbybob said:

I know this is for the desktops but am going to chime in here too for iOS. Not that iPadOS supports RAW images, I would like to see this in iPadOS as soon as possible! I am trying to get away from desktops and laptops and imagine there are many more like me that  are trying to edit CR3 files. 

what is the timeline for this?

All RAW support for the Affinity applications on iOS (and iPadOS) comes from Apple. So if it's not already supported, only Apple would know when they will offer support for CR3 files. Their current list for RAW support (iOS12) is here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt. iOS does support the G5X in their list but I have the Mark II. Is there that big of a difference between the 5X and 5X Mark II file type? I can open the files from the mark II on my iPad just fine but when I try to open in Affinity, I get the message stating cannon open file type.  

I don't know, but you really should be over in the iPad part of the forums for that discussion :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

FYI, beta 1.8.0.486 on Windows, released today, says it has CR3 support.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

Affinity Photo is a good product, but can't understand that about 2 years since the .cr3 format was first used on Canon cameras, Serif still don't support it on the Windows platform.  Canon are some of the most popular cameras on the market and Serif are pushing themselves as a real rival to Photoshop and yet you have the extra step of converting to .dng before editing in Photo.  I know this is not a big deal and Serif don't have the resources of Adobe, but other software such as On1 now support it.