You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for Canon's .CR3 file format

On 1/22/2019 at 8:59 AM, Laurence Svirchev said:

Life gets weird when you don't do your research up front . Canon advertises the M50 for its RAW CR3. on the grounds that the RAW3 file size is smaller. Marketing nonsense. File storage is not the limiting factor for Camera use for the last decade. Storage is cheap by any measure.

What Canon is doing is following the marketing trend of al things wireless and and on portable devices. For Mac users that means iOS (iphone and ipad). Some people want to play on portable devices, but that is not for everyone. For myself, I'm certainly not going to edit on an ipad. I have a MacBook Pro for that.

There is a work around and it goes like this: install Canon's DPP4 (Digital Photo Professional 4) for High Sierra. (Not available for Mojave). Open the RAW3 in DPP 4 and save in tiff to your computer's file storage system. In a test run, a 23 MB RAW3 file turned into a 192 MB file, but at least now I don't have to edit in jpg. Did I say in the first sentence that "Storage is cheap by any measure?"

While I generally like the M system for its size, its ease of use, and portability, I have paid a considerable price in post-photo processing  by not doing my research before I bought the thing. I fell victim to marketing hocus-pocus.

Sure, I hope Affinity comes up with a desktop version of processing CR3.

Another work around is to install Adobe's DNG converter and batch convert to DNGs which are not so heavy and can be opened in Affinity. But it's really a schlepp. I see CaptureOne now has support for CR3 files, so might have to go there.

I recently purchased Affinity Photo for my ipad pro 12.9 inch.  I have camera - Cannon EOS M50 which i have images in CR3 RAW format.  I have no idea why "Affinity Photo" is not supported to open the RAW files from this format.  Cannon EOS M50 was launched on March 23, 2018 . Now it is 2019 new year, its almost a year going to be, i wonder why "Affinity photo" is taking so much time in upgrading the software to support latest version RAW images.  I dont have a desktop Mac.  I only have ipad pro with me. Kindly help ipad users to be able to edit RAW images using "Affinity Photo" .  If you are not able to upgrade, kindly let me know how can i get refund of the "Affinity photo" app purchased for my ipad.  Many thanks !

4 hours ago, kumarramesh46 said:

I recently purchased Affinity Photo for my ipad pro 12.9 inch.  I have camera - Cannon EOS M50 which i have images in CR3 RAW format.  I have no idea why "Affinity Photo" is not supported to open the RAW files from this format.  Cannon EOS M50 was launched on March 23, 2018 . Now it is 2019 new year, its almost a year going to be, i wonder why "Affinity photo" is taking so much time in upgrading the software to support latest version RAW images.  I dont have a desktop Mac.  I only have ipad pro with me. Kindly help ipad users to be able to edit RAW images using "Affinity Photo" .  If you are not able to upgrade, kindly let me know how can i get refund of the "Affinity photo" app purchased for my ipad.  Many thanks !

Perhaps you should check on the Apple forum as Affinity Photo uses the Apple RAW engine on the iPad

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html 

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

• Staff

Hi kumarramesh46,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately we don't yet support .CR3 files in Affinity, be that on Desktop or iPad. We're working to include support for this as soon as possible, but I do not have a timescale for this currently, apologies.

If you've purchased the app you'll have to contact Apple directly to request a refund, as we here at Affinity do not have access to do this through Apple's App Store. https://support.apple.com/HT204084

.CR3 files on a Mac can be opened by Apple's Photos,  Pixelmator, Iridient Developer and Creative Kit. 6000 x 4000 pixels file opens to 

72Mb in Photos  (8bit file) 

187.5Mb in Pixelmator (16bit file)

144Mb file in Iridient developer (16bit file)

187.6Mb Creative Kit (16bit file)

Today I tried to open a bunch of .CR3 images on Affinity Photo but they did not work. I did a search for "cr3 affinity photo" looking for a solution and this thread was one that popped up for me.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed to hear that there is not an easy solution and that there is no roadmap for it. I too was looking for an alternative to the Adobe route. Too bad (for us).

What they have is this, in the latest Mac Beta:

- Added support for CR3 RAW when using the Core Image engine.

Best regards!

16 hours ago, WillemFritz said:

I've downloaded the Windows beta. No, it doesn't work. 

The RAW Image Extension, like the Mac Core Image Engine, is only in Beta and available on the Insider Previews. It will be a while before it is available and applications will be able to use it. 

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

The Beta version announcement claims to support CR3, but that is not my experience.

For what is worth, Apple Mojave can open a CR3 and can edit as well. When I opened a 24 mb file and saved it to Tiff for editing in Affinity, a 24 mb file turned into a 70+ mb file.

Canon's DPP system is rather clumsy, so Apple's Photos seem to be the easiest to use at the first stage of editing.

I have made this point before: Canon is practicing hocus pocus marketing stuff by claiming the CR3 saves space. I have used Canon exclusively since 1989, and this is the first time I am making a public complaint (complained to Canon as well).

I'm really hoping that Affinity really comes up with a solution for the CR3...It will hae to due to the new Canon R series

I'll never buy the full version of Photoshop because of Adobe's subscription only policy and Elements does not open the CR3.

3 hours ago, Laurence Svirchev said:

For what is worth, Apple Mojave can open a CR3 and can edit as well. When I opened a 24 mb file and saved it to Tiff for editing in Affinity, a 24 mb file turned into a 70+ mb file.

And why using the TIFF detour here then? - Did you already tried instead to switch the APh RAW engine to the Apple RAW engine one via the APh Assistence Manager settings (on Macs you have this option in APh and thus the choice between those two engines to use) and did it work then directly?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

See in the online help:

Assistant Options To change initial develop settings:

On the Toolbar, do the following:

1. Click the Develop Assistant to open its settings dialog.
  2. Choose from the following settings:
    • RAW Engine: Provides a choice of RAW processing engines for you to use—Affinity's own Serif Labs engine or Apple's Core Image RAW engine.
    • Lens corrections: Enable or disable automatic lens correction for supported camera lens profiles.
    • Noise reduction: Automatically enables either colour noise reduction, colour and luminance noise reduction, or disables any initial noise reduction. Colour noise reduction is recommended for the vast majority of camera raw images.
    • RAW output format: Choose between RGB (16 bit) or RGB (32 bit HDR) output when developing a raw image. Choosing RGB (32 bit HDR) allows you to maintain a full 32-bit float environment from initial raw development to export and take advantage of extra precision.
    • Tone curve: If the default 'Apply tone curve' option is active, your raw image is adjusted using a suggested tone curve. The 'Take no action' option makes no tonal correction; the image can be altered within the Basic panel later.
    • Alert when assistant takes an action: When checked, a pop-up message appears on loading the RAW image to indicate that adjustments have been applied automatically.
    • Exposure bias: Choose whether to apply exposure bias value if stored in the raw image's EXIF data. Like Histogram stretch, both 'default' and 'initial' give the same results but reports zeroed or actual values, respectively. The 'Take no action' option ignores the exposure bias value.
    • Map default region: Sets the region that displays in the Location panel, if the raw image contains no GPS location data in its EXIF data.

Switch there in the Develop Assistant the RAW engine to use to the Apple one and restart Affinity Photo, then try to open a Canon .CR3 again from APh.

Press on this from the top icon barassistent1.png.a7dd86e0cfb999d32169d6b816d82c8f.png then select the [Develop Assistent] button and then ...

assistent2.jpg.422a65a5aab9e0b0637e0cb305aa9441.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I realize Affinity Photo is a pretty damn good program especially for the one time price and that you are working on supporting the .CR3 RAW file, but this delay is not good.  I just recently purchased the program for my PC and iPad Pro but now having switched over to the EOS R I'm once again back with the Creative Cloud.  The soon to be on sale and affordable full frame entry level EOS RP will be creating more demand for this file format.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, armorednight said:

has this issue been resolved is there support for the CR3 files yet?

Sadly not. As of now the only solution is to first convert the .cr3 file to dng in Adobe's free converter and then import it into Affinity Photo.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have read on Amazon.com that Adobe has already implemented a CR3 converter in Lightroom and Photoshop.

I realize of course, they have certainly better resources than Affinity, so I am willing to wait.

My question would be, have you got a timeline to implement it? or is the current Affinity Photo version meant to stay as is for the years to come?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Gilescooperuk said:

What do you mean no CR3 support?

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 with a CR3 taken from my EOS R this afternoon (which I need to correct the exposure on as it is slightly overdone)

That's likely because you're using a Mac—where you can use the Apple Core Image Raw engine.  The SerifLabs raw engine itself doesn't yet support .CR3 files.  

The link below contains a list of cameras officially supported by the SerifLabs raw engine.  The 6D Mark II (which was announced 2017Q3) is on the list, however the M50 (which was announced 2018Q2—and the first Canon to use the new .CR3 raw format), isn't yet supported.

SerifLabs Supported Raw Cameras (1.7.x) & Lens Correction list:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/73699-seriflabs-supported-raw-cameras-17x-lens-correction-list/

001.thumb.png.20da80f02e147b1b1ad0693202f21367.png

Ich There are differences between the Windows and MacOS version, on Mac Affinity uses the built in raw camera support from Apple, one Windows Affinity have to do this on his own, there aren‘t any camera libs available on Windows. 

So the CR3 format doesn‘t work for Windows no matter which camera you use. 

• 1 month later...