You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support for Canon's .CR3 file format

Hi guys, I've bought the new Canon M50 mirrorless but Canon's new .CR3 RAW file format isn't yet supported by your raw engine.

Do you have any plans to add it soon or will I have to do a tedious workaround for the foreseeable future?

It's the first time in the eight months since I've joined the Affinity revolution that I've missed Photoshop - Adobe RAW added it somewhere in April already.

• Staff

Hi WillemFritz,

11 minutes ago, WillemFritz said:

Do you have any plans to add it soon or will I have to do a tedious workaround for the foreseeable future?

I see no reason why your camera won't be supported by us, but we have no current roadmap for specific camera support so I couldn't provide any dates or specifics here, apologies.

Rest assured we're working hard to improve our RAW support and we update this as often as possible!

I've moved your thread to Suggestions for Affinity Photo on Desktop, so that our devs can see the request for this camera to be implemented into Affinity :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thanks Dan. I suspect Canon's new generation of cameras that are about to come out will all work with .cr3 instead of .cr2 RAW files anyway, so I'm sure it'll soon be a thing, the M50 is just the first one. And of course I understand that new cameras are coming out all the time - just thought I'd make you aware of this :-) 

• 1 month later...

Hey Affinity I bought the new Canon Eos R and both the desktop and iPad versions don’t support the raw files. I’m having to use adobes dng converter and to be honest I can’t stand it. I do hope we can get out support for this as it will put my usual work flow back to normal. Love everything you’ve done so far and I’m excited for all the updates in the future. Thank you! :5_smiley:

• Staff

Hi Jawaun,

Welcome to the forums :)

When using Affinity Photo for iPad we're limited to using the Apple Core RAW engine, meaning it falls to Apple to support certain cameras/RAWs. Hopefully Apple will include you camera in the next major iOS update!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@WillemFritz Please see my previous response regarding the M50 and the Serif LABs RAW engine.

On 8/20/2018 at 4:26 PM, Dan C said:

I see no reason why your camera won't be supported by us, but we have no current roadmap for specific camera support so I couldn't provide any dates or specifics here, apologies.

• Staff

Hi Fchen,

As explained in the original post;

On 8/20/2018 at 4:11 PM, WillemFritz said:

Canon's new .CR3 RAW file format isn't yet supported by your raw engine

Unfortunately the file isn't currently compatible with our RAW engine, hopefully it will be added in the near future.

14 minutes ago, Fchen said:

I asked via e-mail for supporting new cameras, this is the answer from Lee: 

Hi Mario,

We hope to support newer camera models as we release updates but we don't have any dates to when this will be at the moment.

Regards
Lee
21 hours ago, Fchen said:

Neither Windows nor Affinity Photo can open my M50's .cr3 raw files. 
Please test it with my attached raw file.

IMG_0191.CR3

Thanks Fchen, so that means it will be a while still. In the meantime I've found out that the new Faststone Image Viewer now has cr3 support. What do you use to convert your files so you can edit them in Affinity Photo? I've tried converting through Adobe DNG Converter to dng, also through Canon's DPP to TIFF... can't quite decide which is best... Adobe DNG is much faster, but it feels like I'm getting better results through Canon DPP... you?

21 hours ago, Dan C said:

@WillemFritz Please see my previous response regarding the M50 and the Serif LABs RAW engine.

Thanks Fchen, so that means it will be a while still. In the meantime I've found out that the new Faststone Image Viewer now has cr3 support. What do you use to convert your files so you can edit them in Affinity Photo? I've tried converting through Adobe DNG Converter to dng, also through Canon's DPP to TIFF... can't quite decide which is best... Adobe DNG is much faster, but it feels like I'm getting better results through Canon DPP... you?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As of last night I was still unable to open .CR3 files created with the recent Canon EOS R. Quite disappointing as fellow users have pointed to the issue long ago and the forum moderator doesn't look much interested in providing swift support. Time to abandon Affinity and switch to another editor? Have to seriously consider...

I see there are lots of requests for support of the Canon .CR3 format.  I have an EOS R and cannot yet open these files in Affinity.  I want to switch my whole workflow away from Adobe PS and LR but as I convert the CR3 files to PSD and the open in Affinity it seems a crazy situation.  I suspect all new Canon Cameras will be using the CR3 format, when are you going to listen to the thread and actually take some action?

Please look at supporting .CR3 files. Contrary to popular belief, Canon is still the biggest camera company in the world - and all their new cameras will use it.

https://photorumors.com/2018/08/01/2018-canon-nikon-and-sony-market-share-latest-nikkei-bcn-and-cipa-reports/

On 8/21/2018 at 1:26 AM, Dan C said:

Hi WillemFritz,

Rest assured we're working hard to improve our RAW support and we update this as often as possible!

I've moved your thread to Suggestions for Affinity Photo on Desktop, so that our devs can see the request for this camera to be implemented into Affinity :) 

Why is Affinity (Serif?) being so casual and non-committal with this? We buy your software because you tell us how good it is and then you don't support the cameras we buy. The M50 has been out for quite some time now and people have been requesting file support for 6 months for this camera. I am disgusted that Affinity has no sense or urgency to make people's files usable. I think I'll do what others have done and go back onto a Lightroom/Photoshop subscription. At least Adobe allows us to use our files without going through hoops first. I am totally unimpressed. I also bought On1 Raw Photo 2019 and that is just as bad. Subscriptions are clearly the way to go if one wishes to be kept up-to-date with software. A lot of people are going to realise this.

Life gets weird when you don't do your research up front . Canon advertises the M50 for its RAW CR3. on the grounds that the RAW3 file size is smaller. Marketing nonsense. File storage is not the limiting factor for Camera use for the last decade. Storage is cheap by any measure.

What Canon is doing is following the marketing trend of al things wireless and and on portable devices. For Mac users that means iOS (iphone and ipad). Some people want to play on portable devices, but that is not for everyone. For myself, I'm certainly not going to edit on an ipad. I have a MacBook Pro for that.

There is a work around and it goes like this: install Canon's DPP4 (Digital Photo Professional 4) for High Sierra. (Not available for Mojave). Open the RAW3 in DPP 4 and save in tiff to your computer's file storage system. In a test run, a 23 MB RAW3 file turned into a 192 MB file, but at least now I don't have to edit in jpg. Did I say in the first sentence that "Storage is cheap by any measure?"

While I generally like the M system for its size, its ease of use, and portability, I have paid a considerable price in post-photo processing  by not doing my research before I bought the thing. I fell victim to marketing hocus-pocus.

Sure, I hope Affinity comes up with a desktop version of processing CR3.