You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta RC2 (1.1.2.23562)

A minor issue with slice export filenames. I've noticed if I have a named slice with a period in it, e.g. "0.10" (the text inside the quotes is the name), and export 1x & 2x versions, the exported filename is just "0" (ignore quotes, just the number 0 appears as the PNG filename), and only the 2x version is exported. Not a biggie, just a bit strange I think.

Hi

Is anyone else having problems with invisible document tabs? I'm occasionally finding that, when I have multiple docs open, the tab bar just shows blank; you can still click on the tabs and switch between documents, but you can't see which tab you are clicking on. It seems like the tab graphics aren't visible, and all you can see is the background behind them.

I haven't completely isolated the circumstances that cause this yet, but it happens on opening a second or subsequent document. Not all the time though. I'll try and get a screenshot next time it happens.

I'm using old-skool OSX 10.7 on a 2011 iMac.

Sorry Andrew, as I said ... I can’t reproduce it constantly, so I have to wait until it happens again for a screen shot ... and no, the area is not missing, just the tabs are missing (as far as I remember) ...  :unsure:

Hi Andy,

there seem to be indeed two different possible error states ... tab bar empty and tab bar missing. I was able to reproduce the second one a minute ago using .afdesign files from the forum ... see my video. On the other hand, I have not been able to reproduce the first one so far, but I remember to have it encountered some time before ...

Cheers,

Alex  :)

• Staff

Hi

Is anyone else having problems with invisible document tabs? I'm occasionally finding that, when I have multiple docs open, the tab bar just shows blank; you can still click on the tabs and switch between documents, but you can't see which tab you are clicking on. It seems like the tab graphics aren't visible, and all you can see is the background behind them.

I haven't completely isolated the circumstances that cause this yet, but it happens on opening a second or subsequent document. Not all the time though. I'll try and get a screenshot next time it happens.

I'm using old-skool OSX 10.7 on a 2011 iMac.

Are you on OS X10.7.5? As a work around for now, you can use the menu View -> Views. :)

• Staff

Sorry Andrew, as I said ... I can’t reproduce it constantly, so I have to wait until it happens again for a screen shot ... and no, the area is not missing, just the tabs are missing (as far as I remember) ...  :unsure:

Not a problem. I know how hard it is to reproduce certain bugs sometimes, so just do it the next time it happens. Thanks for the video though! :)

Hi Andrew

Yes, I am on 10.7.5. And I'm already using the views menu workaround, really just wanted to report the problem as much as anything.

What I'm seeing is not quite the same as in Andy's video (although I may have had something similar in past betas); mostly, I get a situation where the tab bar is there, but just filled with the same dark grey / black background of the off canvas area of the document window. I'll post a screenshot as soon as it happens again; it's playing really nice this morning, and I have a full set of nice clear tabs however much I try to break it!

Hey guys, I think this may be a bug, but I'm not sure—it's not always consistent (and it could be my particular mouse), but when trying to click to select a layer or group, sometimes (about 11, 12 sec. into this video) I'm not able to select the layer and instead it either moves the layer around just a bit, or it bumps the screen around. It's like there's a bit of confusion between selecting and panning. Possibly more of a mouse issue?

affinity-clicking-bump.mov

This one is probably a more concrete issue for me—when going to rotate an object or group in the transform palette, I'm getting quite a flicker when hitting the dropdown to open the slider. Sometimes it stays open on-click, other times the slider panel will not stay open unless I click and hold on the dropdown, then move my cursor down to move the slider. It'd be nice if it stayed open consistently on-click. :)

rotating-dropdown-flicker.mov

A quick follow-up to the tab bar issue ... to be sure, the tab bar is fully functional (you can even "close" tabs ... provided you find the right spot) ... it’s just invisible sometimes ...  ;)  

• Staff

...RC3 on the way - hopefully within the next hour! :)

EDIT: Okay, looks like tomorrow morning - sorry... We need to get some translation-related things sorted that aren't quite ready yet

• Staff

smallreflection,

I've been able to reproduce the rotating drop-down flicker, but only when when i click very quickly and lightly and with the mouse still in movement. Can you replicate it with the mouse already in place over the arrow and simply by clicking on it?

I think this can be fine tuned.

Hi again - regarding the invisible tabs, I have a screenshot now. I had closed down all my open files, created a new untitled document, and then on opening the first of the other two (already existing) files, I got the blank tab bar you see here.

Andy has come up with a better workaround for this in his video though. Toggling 'Seperated mode' off and back on has restored the tabs. So thanks for that, Andy!

Blank-tab-bar.jpg

Hi MartinH,

I believe you are seeing exactly what can be seen in my videos. Look, when I darken my canvas background and make the rulers visible, I get the very same picture ...  ;)

Nevertheless, I still think I have seen the empty "carved out" (gradient filled) background of the tab bar without the tabs in front at some point in the past (could have been in another Beta), but I have not been able to reproduce this so far in RC2 ... so this remains somewhat obscure at the moment, sorry ...

Thanks,

Seems to be a problem with the rectangle properties bar at the top.

If you click on "Corner" and switch between "None" and the other 4 options (e.g. rounded), the percentage box next to it is not disabled/enabled accordingly. Instead you either have to click off and on the item, or tick/untick "Single radius" to make it re-draw the UI and display the box accordingly. 

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Hi MartinH,

I believe you are seeing exactly what can be seen in my videos. Look, when I darken my canvas background and make the rulers visible, I get the very same picture ...  ;)

Nevertheless, I still think I have seen the empty "carved out" (gradient filled) background of the tab bar without the tabs in front at some point in the past (could have been in another Beta), but I have not been able to reproduce this so far in RC2 ... so this remains somewhat obscure at the moment, sorry ...

Thanks,

You're right Alex (not Andy, sorry!) - I think the only difference is that you don't have rulers showing in your movies, so you don't get that 'empty box'; just invisible tabs. You're right though, it's the same thing.

Hmm...this is not getting any better, but taking a turn for the worst.

Exporting designs will crash the program each time.

Especially exporting items in retina mode ( @2x) makes it go bust.

Also it will go bust when the filename already exists, so overwriting a previous design ( export ) will crash it.

Also it will not ask to overwrite or save to a different filename.

Things I am still missing :

- options to adjust the transparency of a used image ( without having to go through 12 screens, 13 adjustments, etc ) .
 Why is it so difficult to be able to just adjust the background of a picture to transparency ?

- any progress bar or similar showing if it is indeed exporting and if so, how long it takes...

- option to create a slanted guideline  @ xx degrees angle ( or I am not getting it how this is to be done ) 

Hope any of these get solved soon.

• Staff

Hi RGBLASER,

If you have a design which crashes the program, it would be helpful if you would email it to us at support@seriflabs.com so that we can fix the problem. We are obviously not seeing this problem here, otherwise we would not be suggesting that this is a release candidate! Is there something special about the drive you are saving to? Is it the machine's internal disk, if so is it formatted as standard HFS, or something else (case sensitive or other options?). If it is an external/cloud drive then please supply more information. Your issues are not being seen by everyone else, otherwise we would have fixed them. I'm sure we can sort these out for you, but unless we find out what the problem is then we cannot fix it...

To adjust the transparency of an image, simply select it in the Layers panel and just adjust the layer opacity (at the top of the Layers panel) and it will work... is this not what you mean? Some file exports do provide a progress bar, others do not - yet. This will be improved. You cannot create a non-horizontal/vertical guide at present, but this will be very shortly available after this update has gone to the App Store. We already have a version with greatly improved grids and guides.

Thanks,

Matt

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.