You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I share my Designer files?

I have asked this before, but I think my question was overlooked.

I have 2 of the same exact iPad Pro 12.9s.

I want to send one of the IPads an Affinity Designer file I am working on.

I pull up the share sheet - choose the device, and BAM... the file is now on the other device in just a click.

But when I share my file, it goes to the Camera Roll instead.

Might this be a bug... or future feature?

2 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @MyAmazingDiscoveries.com,

I'm not really sure I understand your requests.

You say "Affinity Designer file". This cannot be opened by the Camera Roll. Can you please send us a screen recording with this in action? 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

My bad. I am not explaining clear:

I am working in Affinity Designer on iPad A.

I want to share (AirDrop) my project to Affinity Designer on iPad B. This way, my co-worker can take the file I was working on and make his own edits.

The only way I can see doing this is to use the Share button in the Export menu. This brings up a share sheet, but AirDropping it sends a .png file to iPad B's Camera Roll... not the AF file.

When you use the export - share method it’s going to share the file as a JPG,PNG,PDF etc as selected in the export options.

To share the Afdesign file, you could use Document-Save a copy, to first save to an IOS Files folder area, say on iCloud or On my iPad then use the share option from there.

Edited by Paul Mudditt
Example of steps.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

10 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

When you use the export - share method it’s going to share the file as a JPG,PNG,PDF etc as selected in the export options.

To share the Afdesign file, you could use Document-Save a copy, to first save to an IOS Files folder area, say on iCloud or On my iPad then use the share option from there.

Thank you for this workaround.

With that said, it looks like the answer is no for now - Affinity Designer cannot AirDrop a file directly from one iPad to another. And I am cool with that... I am more than impressed on what Affinity Designer does so early out of the gate...

Can this be added as a feature request.

If the iPads are on 2 different accounts I don’t see why Airdrop would not work unless there is a file size limitation, if they are on the same account simply share via iCloud files. I share between iPad and Mac all the time, no work required at all.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

4 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

If the iPads are on 2 different accounts I don’t see why Airdrop would not work unless there is a file size limitation, if they are on the same account simply share via iCloud files. I share between iPad and Mac all the time, no work required at all.

Yes, your workarounds works...

However:

I am looking to skip the step of "Save As" to iCloud to then share via AirDrop. It would be easier to click a share button and AirDrop it in one action.

When I use other apps on my iPad, this AirDrop sharing is standard fare.

On 8/21/2018 at 6:00 AM, MyAmazingDiscoveries.com said:

I am looking to skip the step of "Save As" to iCloud to then share via AirDrop.

As long as both iPads have WiFi & Bluetooth enabled, neither one has Personal Hotspot enabled, & AirDrop receiving is set to "Everyone" on the iPad you want to AirDrop the file to, it should work. If the receiving iPad is set to "Contacts Only" see the info here for what to do if it does not work.

Note that the receiving iPad must have a copy of Affinity Designer installed on it if you (or your coworker using your 2nd iPad?) wants to edit it, & that the two copies (one on each iPad) are independent & not linked to each other in any way, so editing one will not update the other. If you use cloud storage (iCloud Drive or whatever), there is only one copy, but if two devices (any combination of iPads & Macs) are editing that file at the same time, there is no way to merge their edits -- the last device to save its edits to cloud storage replaces the original with its edited version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

As long as both iPads have WiFi & Bluetooth enabled, neither one has Personal Hotspot enabled, & AirDrop receiving is set to "Everyone" on the iPad you want to AirDrop the file to, it should work. If the receiving iPad is set to "Contacts Only" see the info here for what to do if it does not work.

Note that the receiving iPad must have a copy of Affinity Designer installed on it if you (or your coworker using your 2nd iPad?) wants to edit it, & that the two copies (one on each iPad) are independent & not linked to each other in any way, so editing one will not update the other. If you use cloud storage (iCloud Drive or whatever), there is only one copy, but if two devices (any combination of iPads & Macs) are editing that file at the same time, there is no way to merge their edits -- the last device to save its edits to cloud storage replaces the original with its edited version.

Unless I am being thick, your suggestion does not work for me.

As I have said a few times above, I have 2 identical iPad Pros (12.9"). Both have WiFi & Bluetooth enabled. Neither has Personal Hotspot enabled. And AirDrop is set to "Everyone"...

And when I try to share the file, it downloads a .png to my Camera Roll - it does not open in Affinity Designer as a native file.