You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to share from Affinity Designer for iPad

Hi everyone, totally new to this app and finding little by little some remarkable adjustments to brushes and the like never seen in Photoshop or Illustratior. None the less, my issue today is exporting the files from my iPad Pro to my computer for clean up. These files are huge. 15'X10' adn 60"X40". When I hit export, share is not available, the gear spins forever and nothing seems to happen while trying to download PDF files ans PSD files. I have also tried using itunes on my mac withteh pad pluggeed in. Jpegs ok but not the others. Any ideas.

I could make the files smaller but have concerns about enlargements. As a Fine Artist I need to be able toprint these at magazine quality.

Thanks, Will

Thanks Gabe, I am watching tutorials this morning and hope to figure this out on my own. The dpi is set to 300 I believe. I have your note but frankly will have to work at seeing how to forward the file. I will try to do that. Curently the file is in hte AF domain, not on my desktop ready to be opened, corrected etc.

Will

Are you using Affinity on your desktop to clean up the files? If so you don’t use the export option, instead use the Document-Save a copy method to copy to your iCloud or Dropbox account and pick the file up on your desktop from there.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

14 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @William Montgomery,

Welcome to the forums. 

What is the DPI for your document? 

Can you attach the .afdesign file so we can have a look for you?

Generally, you would not press on "share" on the export dialogue. You would choose the right setting and press "OK". 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

14 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @William Montgomery,

Welcome to the forums. 

What is the DPI for your document? 

Can you attach the .afdesign file so we can have a look for you?

Generally, you would not press on "share" on the export dialogue. You would choose the right setting and press "OK". 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

The dpi is different depending upon the file format. A psd girl of pastel 1 is 56.9mb. The thing that is frustrating is how long it takes to export a fairly small vector file.  Both of these files I am sending are titled the same by mistake. The afdesign is a full vector file. I have been successful in exporting but golly it is so slow. See what you think and thank you for your help. Please don't publish this artwork. It is what I do and am not interested in giving it away, if you can understand.

pastel 1.afdesign

pastel 1.jpg

• Staff

Thank you for sharing the file. 

fairly small vector file

The size is 15ft by 10 ft @300DPI, or in pixels, a massive 54000 x 36000 pixels. You would expect this kind of slow export even from the Desktop builds - trying it on the iPad is a bit of a push really. 

150 DPI is ample for an image of that size. You could get within two feet of it and still be unable to differentiate the pixels.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)