You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm coming from Photoshop, which has some features which I use a lot, but I'm not really wanting to pay $30/month when I can go months between uses.

So, here are my questions:

- Is it possible to drag a guide to the center between 2 existing guides?

- Is it possible to create a rectangular selection that snaps to guides so that the selection doesn't go over? 

- Is there something like the 'magic wand' that selects a large area of roughly the same color?

• Staff

Hi SilverBlade,

Welcome to the forums :)

9 hours ago, SilverBlade said:

Is it possible to drag a guide to the center between 2 existing guides?

You can drag guides at any time, but there's no automatic distribution option to make sure the guides are in the center between others currently. 

Is it possible to create a rectangular selection that snaps to guides so that the selection doesn't go over? 

You can use the rectangular selection tool, with 'Snap to guides' enabled in the snapping menu to achieve this.

Is there something like the 'magic wand' that selects a large area of roughly the same color?

With a pixel layer selected, you can use the Select>Select Sampled Colour... option for this. You simply click on the colour you wish to select and adjust the tolerance until you are happy with the selection!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

16 hours ago, SilverBlade said:

- Is there something like the 'magic wand' that selects a large area of roughly the same color?

Hi,

The Flood Select tool has an icon that looks suspiciously like a Magic Wand and does very much the same thing:

1511474414_Screenshot2018-08-20at17_10_24.png.5a0192940485f7ac33d6e95c9bd71c45.png

There's also a Selection Brush tool (the icon to the left of the wand, not sure if there's a Photoshop equivalent) which is somewhat more precise IMO.

Cheers.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, SilverBlade said:

Can a guide 'snap to' the center of an object?

It certainly can :)
a0a61b78deab2d2a6062992ac94ed84d.gif

I use the following snapping settings:

107dedb734b835f11b374fdbb4788f2d.png

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 20 August 2018 at 1:14 AM, SilverBlade said:

No, not automatically (snapping) but you can use View > Guides Manager to precisely place a guide centrally between two others - if you can do a little maths

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 8/20/2018 at 1:14 AM, SilverBlade said:

The workaround is to draw a rectangle between the existing guides (which will snap), then add the new guide (which will now snap to the center of the rectangle), and finally delete the rectangle.

If you use the Guides Manager as @Carl123 suggested you can get Affinity to do the maths for you.

504786878_AffinityCenterGuide.gif.2b69ad918ee8389fec1082b43d17d805.gif

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

I remember the days when people could still do mental arithmetic in their heads :26_nerd:

But if you want to make it even easier the Guides manager also supports expressions for field input so you can use mid(point) or average to get the same result

mid(18,85)
average(18,85)

midpoint.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I remember the days when people could still do mental arithmetic in their heads

Are you suggesting that there’s another way to do mental arithmetic, Carl?? :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I believe some of today's generation will all whip out their smartphones to do any form of arithmetic. If you said "do it in your head" they would probably explode or roll on the floor laughing