HairyDalek

Very Odd Artefacts in Photo

I’ve been munching about with some ideas in Affinity Photo, and I managed to cause this problem. As you can see, a lot of weird artefacts on the canvas. They seem to be transient - not party of the image, but they appear and shift around.

What I have done is applied some envelope distortions to a layer, which has a mask, a blue filter and a recolour effect applied. When I shift the envelope distortion around, all these blocks appear around the image. They look wrong, bit I kind of like them in the spirit of the image and effect I’m aiming for.

As well as the artefacts, you’ll notice rectangles of colour in the image. The face should be all red, and the background all blue. Instead, I’ve got this.

I’m using Metal for this in Affinity Photo. Can't seem to reproduce on Open GL.

418662849_ScreenShot2018-08-19at11_56_19.thumb.png.09704c2c89104c3110722c9669d0fcf7.png

Thanks for the file - Unfortunately I've been unable to reproduce it (I do have Metal set in Preferences). If you restart the app, reopen your file and adjust the distortion does the issue come back?

8 hours ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for the file - Unfortunately I've been unable to reproduce it (I do have Metal set in Preferences). If you restart the app, reopen your file and adjust the distortion does the issue come back?

I tried it again, and not, couldn’t repeat it either using Metal. Is this something that needs to be traced from a new document? Do things “build up” over use, and cause problems (I don’t know how Affinity Photo works internally, so this is pure speculation).

12 hours ago, HairyDalek said:

I tried it again, and not, couldn’t repeat it either using Metal. Is this something that needs to be traced from a new document? Do things “build up” over use, and cause problems (I don’t know how Affinity Photo works internally, so this is pure speculation).

It may have been running low on memory which could cause some redraw issues - if you'd been working for a while in it then this may have happened!