You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thanks for reply.

Got both, Photo and Designer but for obvious(?) reasons try to get familliar with Photo as possible PS (here: CS5) replacement.

I am familiar with sc. 'paper space' and sc. 'model space' per CAD soft analogies but-have to admit-had no idea it may exist in PS.

How could I check/verify that oversized layer /in PS?/ ?

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM

4 hours ago, Zbigg said:

I am familiar with sc. 'paper space' and sc. 'model space'

I’m not familiar with the abbreviation ‘sc.’ Perhaps you could expand it for me and others.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I’m not familiar with the abbreviation ‘sc.’ Perhaps you could expand it for me and others.

So-called. New invention perhaps?

Does it bring any enlightment to the real problem?

cheers,

In Affinity Designer you can use Artboards as a pseudo trim transparency.

1. Select the artwork
  2. Select the Artboard Tool
  3. Under Size: Select Selection in the Artboard Context Menu, which will appear above the artwork and below the main toolbar.
    1319244065_ScreenShot2018-08-18at08_56_34.png.02c6caff00ecc5af249a47fe20076d12.png
  4. Click on Insert Artboard

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

In Affinity Designer you can use Artboards as a pseudo trim transparency.

1. Select the artwork
  2. Select the Artboard Tool
  3. Under Size: Select Selection in the Artboard Context Menu, which will appear above the artwork and below the main toolbar.
    1319244065_ScreenShot2018-08-18at08_56_34.png.02c6caff00ecc5af249a47fe20076d12.png
  4. Click on Insert Artboard

Well, thats ok but I expected to work with bitmaps in APhoto rather than vector program?

Can I correct it in APhoto? I just only need trim by transparency...

cheers,

10 minutes ago, Zbigg said:

Well, thats ok but I expected to work with bitmaps in APhoto rather than vector program?

Can I correct it in APhoto? I just only need trim by transparency...

mentioned it for all the +1 transparency trim voters for designer to give them a workaround for now. Toltec mentions this in his post prior to mine, I just went into more detail.

It would be helpful for you to make a simple design that you would normally do in order for people to try and find a workaround for you or a workflow that would be more beneficial.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just for laughs...

1. I created a document in Adobe Photoshop CC  and a similar one in Affinity Photo
  2. I created a simple brush 100px in each app and started with RGB Red (255,0,0) Hardness 0%
  3. I made guides that would place the brush centres at X: 150, 300 and 450px and Y: 150px 
  4. I made 3 brush dots with a single click with the mouse using Hardness 0%, 50% and 100%
  5. I then used trim in Adobe Photoshop CC and Clip in Affinity Photo
  6. The document size for Adobe Photoshop CC = 481x159px
  7. The document size for Affinity Photo = 396x99px

This is quite a difference, Affinity Photo crops quite aggressively to the 100% hardness dot but the antialiasing is better in Adobe Photoshop CC and gives a smoother effect than Affinity Photo 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Absolute +1. Just fired up Photo to finally get at moving to it from PS for major work flow. First image need Trim>Transparent, end here, and am again running PS. Really, really want to change, but the "workaround" while feasible add just enough time to accumulate very sig total with dozens and dozens of images to process.

• 4 months later...

+1 Trim would be nice, or just give Clip some options: Clip the top-left pixel color, or all transparency (including hidden content).

My workaround, for now, is to select & copy what I want to trim, then File > New from Clipboard

Mods: Clipping transparency, even if there are hidden contents, would be really nice in my workflow. It's destructive, but I bet loads of people use it for the same reason as me. I Trim temporarily for exporting individual layers for games, and then undo. I even have a macro in PS for hiding all, unhiding the selected layer, and trimming. I do this by hiding all the layers I don't want, and then Trim. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 2:50 PM, toltec said:

Need to worm up again...real need for such feature,pls...

In normal ‘document’ mode, Affinity Designer works like a page layout program, such as Quark or Word for that matter. You set a page size, apply bleed, then place objects on the page. Neither Quark, Word or Designer (or any such program as far as I know) trims a page to an image placed on it?

That’s why there are canvas based programs like Photoshop or Photo, which are based around an image and make that job easy.

The choices are to use Photo (which is designed for that purpose) or use Designer’s artboard feature which does allow you to trim to a canvas (or artboard).

Photo does not ‘clip’ if there is a layer that extends outside the masked area, hidden or not. Could that be your problem?

cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

+1.

Its important! :)

Clip Canvas not very suitable for this. I not always want to remove masks because of rasterization (in AP).

Please!

Windows 10 | AMD R7-2700 CPU | NVIDIA RTX 2060 | 8 GB RAM. Affinity: Photo, Designer licenses.

Graphical Designer | CG Generalist.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry to necro an old post, but the google results for "trimming transparent pixels in Affinity Designer" has this as the top result.

If you own both Designer and Photo, you can click on "File" in the upper left and about 2/3 of the way down, select "Edit in Photo".  Once Photo opens, you can then click "Document", and again about 2/3 of the way down select "Clip Canvas".  Once that is done, you can then click "File" in Photo, and 2/3 of the way down, select "Edit in Designer".  Once the image disappears from Photo, you can close Photo, and resume your work in Designer.

It's sounds worse than it actually is.  Hope that helps!

- Sven2157

Edited by Sven2157

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's still the "Clip Canvas" feature, however it works exactly the same as "Trim Transparent "in Photoshop.
Actually, it is one, or more, less clicks to achieve your goal, too!

*** EDIT ***
Made faster GIF (😉 Yes!  This is the faster one! 🤣).

2023-05-18_11-16-36.gif