You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

more efficiency

Sorry, guys, I am complaining.  I got weak password reminder a thousand times but my bank password only 6 digits. What is the point ?  " We are titans, only 100 digits password can join us? 

I had a good time by drawing on keynote, so I guess I could go pro.  But it is not.  

1). I found it was hard to select shapes especially for strokes. 

2) I am confused about how to break shape. Sometimes I can select the nodes but sometimes not. What is the principle?

3) palm touch. My screen touch is a mess and I always touch something by accident. I don't know what to do.

4) iPad app is supposed to be easy.  But I spent 2 hrs learning functions which could be done easily by keynote. Can we have a child mode without some many pro functions ? For example I like the Assembly app.

5) Learning a new app is huge time consumption. I do appreciate the project based tutorials instead of menu demonstration.

Thank you 

Hi, simongg,

Just an ordinary user here. Don't mind complaining too much, but I am a little confused by some of your problems.

My opinion, if your bank accepts passwords of just 6 passwords, I'd use a different bank as soon as possible.

I'd never tried to use keynote before reading you post. Took me about 15 minutes to find the drawing functions. They are very rudimentary, and couldn't do much. I looked at Assembly, also new to me. 180 pre-made shapes are nice starting points. But Affinity's 20+ built in shapes have so many variations. Took me 3 weeks to try out every variable for every shape.  Expect to spend some time exploring.

I have really bad arthritis, and other problems. Using the touch interface is really hard for me. But I'm not having problems selecting objects, even strokes. Likewise, w. the node tool active I can usually get to any individual node, tho' sometimes I need to zoom in if using my fingers alone. Can you detail what is happening for you? 

Note, the built in shapes do not have nodes that can be broken. They need to be converted to "curves" befor working  w. nodes.

I much prefer using the pencil.

Like you, I often touch the screen w. other parts of my hand than the fingers. Often get things dialogues popping up, are strokes I never tried to make. I've seen adds for gloves that help block the signals from the rest of the hand other than the first 3 fingers. According to one vid, you can make on from an old sock. Again, that's why I prefer using a pencil. 

You are quite right. Learning a new app can be very time consuming. Affinity is pretty easy, maybe a  hundred hours to come up to speed, assuming you are as slow as I am. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

3 hours ago, gdenby said:

Hi, simongg,

Just an ordinary user here. Don't mind complaining too much, but I am a little confused by some of your problems.

My opinion, if your bank accepts passwords of just 6 passwords, I'd use a different bank as soon as possible.

I'd never tried to use keynote before reading you post. Took me about 15 minutes to find the drawing functions. They are very rudimentary, and couldn't do much. I looked at Assembly, also new to me. 180 pre-made shapes are nice starting points. But Affinity's 20+ built in shapes have so many variations. Took me 3 weeks to try out every variable for every shape.  Expect to spend some time exploring.

I have really bad arthritis, and other problems. Using the touch interface is really hard for me. But I'm not having problems selecting objects, even strokes. Likewise, w. the node tool active I can usually get to any individual node, tho' sometimes I need to zoom in if using my fingers alone. Can you detail what is happening for you? 

Note, the built in shapes do not have nodes that can be broken. They need to be converted to "curves" befor working  w. nodes.

I much prefer using the pencil.

Like you, I often touch the screen w. other parts of my hand than the fingers. Often get things dialogues popping up, are strokes I never tried to make. I've seen adds for gloves that help block the signals from the rest of the hand other than the first 3 fingers. According to one vid, you can make on from an old sock. Again, that's why I prefer using a pencil. 

You are quite right. Learning a new app can be very time consuming. Affinity is pretty easy, maybe a  hundred hours to come up to speed, assuming you are as slow as I am. 

I get very good advice from you.  But i can't remember password more than 6 digits.

Refer to shapes that built in , how can I break them?  What is the curve function?

it is difficult to select a shape without color while shape with color is good. I tried a few times, apparently it could improve if I zoom in the shape. Most cases I have to tap twice to activate the shapes without color or even worse.

Thank you for your time and patience, I really appreciate.

5 hours ago, gdenby said:

I've seen adds for gloves that help block the signals from the rest of the hand other than the first 3 fingers. According to one vid, you can make on from an old sock. 

Anti-fouling gloves. I have one that came with my graphics tablet and it’s very good. They are only a couple of dollars from eBay and are nice and soft. I would have thought an old sock would soon make your hand get very hot and depending on what they are made of, there might be a static build up issue. Don’t really know.

46 minutes ago, simongg said:

I get very good advice from you.  But i can't remember password more than 6 digits.

Refer to shapes that built in , how can I break them?  What is the curve function?

Well, if you can remember a password like ‘simon1’ double it. Use simon1simon1 but don’t actually use that or I would know how to break into your account  ;)

Everything you draw is really a curve, even a straight line. It’s just a term for, er, something you draw.

Convert to Curves turns a shape (which has special dynamic editing properties) into a simple curve, then you can break it and edit.

Are you using Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo? they are a little different in converting to curves.

There are some very good (and short) videos available from Serif. If you are an absolute newbie they would give you a starting point and some basic grounding.

BTW I agree with you about the iPad. It is definitely NOT easy to use. Only if you are tapping on a browser link maybe. Everything else is much harder and takes longer without a keyboard and mouse. I much prefer Android.

I also find Apple’s insisting you use the “cloud” for transferring files really stupid. A “portable” ? Device that is permanently in need of an internet link or lots of difficult setting up (airdrop etc). I can’t use that on my PC!

Whereas my android tablet can be connected by a cable, no matter where or when.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I looked some more at the Assembly app. As they say, they take the approach of using building blocks. Some come w. the app, other's are available thru the pro subscription.

As I mention, Affinity's built in shapes are much more versatile, as they allow the user to build any number of shape variations. The built in shapes change dynamically by moving their red control points. The tool menu at the bottom will give access to other shape variations, such as the number of teeth on the cog shape. On the tool bar, there is a button to convert the shape to a "curve" object, after which, all the nodes must be altered w. the node tool. Also, if one applies the corner tool to a shape, it is converted, but the size and kind of corner remains variable until the corners are "baked.

Beyond that, the curves can be manipulated thru the boolean geometric operations. For instance, one could may a many pointed star. Then draw a circle over it. With both shapes selected,the boolean subtract will cut the circle shape out of the star. If the circle was big enough, one will then have a group of rays.

I agree, selecting a plain line is a good bit harder than a shape, at least with the finger tips. Again, why I bought the pen. I can make selections of shapes, or tools, or whatever accurately almost every time, while I need many finger taps, often selecting the wrong item.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet