You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dodge and burn to another level

Can I do this Mods? Remove if not :)
This Olivio Sarikas video popped 
up on my facebook feed today -- some really great ideas for subtle adjustments

I have also added to the facebook post:
Now that is a good one folks -- taking dodge and burn, one of the oldest editing tools used in the original darkrooms up another level .

Dodge and burn should be the first tool you master as even just lightening and darkening parts of you image can be so powerful. Just remember; little at a time . Slowly build up your image as a painter would build up their painting 
Thanks for sharing Olivio

Olivio touch on this; but to remind you. Affinity does have built in dodge and burn tools , however you may be better making your own >new layer>fill layer with 50% grey>set the blend mode to softlight>select a soft round paint brush>set colours to white and black>set brush opacity to less than 30% >paint with black to darken and white to lighten>adjust blush strength as require. Texture brushes are handy also.

As in the video; you can add a little subtle colour on the same layer; however using extra named layers makes it easier to undo your work totally or with a masking brush
This also a great way to a whisper of selective colour to a B/W photo 

I'm off to play with some of Olivio's ideas and suggestions from the video --- there is always something new to explore with digital photography. 

Thanks Olivio

This video is about blend modes and brushwork, not dodge and burn, yes it gives a similar effect but no dodging and burning was involved. In the video, I would have liked to have seen the image used changed as a finished product using the techniques demonstrated, to show how it could be applied to create a punchier image.

good for beginners though.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I looked at his ideas "as taking dodge and burn to another level" because I use the soft light blending layer way for my dodge and burn . He did briefly use a softlight b/layer with a dark brush -- maybe I read too much into it because I knew it
I feel his video opened up a lot of ideas to be explored .
Programers need to show just how much their program can do better than others; however most well taken photos don't need a lot of editing past the basics twinkles to be very acceptable. 
I often feel many learners get bogged down trying to learn  too much too quickly with too many programs when the basic and some dodge and burn is all they need. Over time all the other toys and tools will become more familiar to them.
The first Affinity macro I made was dodge and burn >new layer>fill with 50% grey>add softlight blending layer --- overlay can also be used.  (?? why called macro instead of action or preset ??)
2nd macro was to change from pixels to inches  -- now I wonder if I can add set size to a full inch ------ see ya, I off to try that :)

8 minutes ago, ianrb said:

now I wonder if I can add set size to a full inch ------ see ya, I off to try that :)

yep; that worked >B+D>inches>resize>rename layers< all in the one macro :) ---- be could not add duplicate layer  :(