You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting slices of layer based on object

I've been messing around with export persona and slices, and I'm trying to figure this out: I'm creating a heightmap for a game and I'm using a series of snapped squares to keep scale. What I'm trying to do is draw an image in a lay over all of these squares, then select a square and use it to create a slice that will export the corresponding part of the top layer. Unfortunately I keep on ending up with appropriately-sized blank squares or the entire image exported, or both. I'm not quite sure how the selection works; if someone could explain this to me it would be much appreciated.

Sadly, when you create a slice from a shape ("yellow slices"), only the shape and its content will be exported. If you use those for delimiting areas, you'll only have blank/white images when exporting.

You'll have to use the "violet slices", that you need to create manually and give same position, width and heightas your shapes if you want to export parts of your map.

Other options are to copy-paste your map in each "yellow slices" (but a pain if you need to do some modifications later... I didn't try to use a big map as a symbol in AD), or to click on each shape, get a selection from it and export with the option "area: selection and background", but it take longer and it's not a nice workflow as using the Export persona could be.

Perhaps someone has another idea?

I  use a lot the export persona, and it would be usefull to at least be able to convert "yellow slices" to "violet slices". This Persona can be use for different purposes than UI design with more options. 

You can create slices from object like rectangles for different areas. They'll have a yellow icon.

But when exported they'll be blank (or only their background color and the objects/images they contain), they won't show the layers below. (I created 3 with colored background with transparency).

2018-08-21_183317.png.834750de161ce00b5fdbe350985b6e99.png

The "yellow icons":

2018-08-21_182454.png.5d1403649c4502d61073a8305aca4f9c.png

Those can be use as markees to create new slices manually and using the transform panel or manually position the new ones at the same position (those will have violet icons).

2018-08-21_182628.png.f0db7361f8041cb9e0cfb6d5370f75e3.png2018-08-21_182728.png.2b21a9f38af3d15902dc1e4adcca0dca.png

When exported only the violet ones will have the background: (I made an error renaming the violet slices)

2018-08-21_182936.png.aa34f7d69808f9acd5e52a3162cb993a.png2018-08-21_183116.png.a64cbb94deba0240ebec8af48e9502f7.png

That's why I would find usefull to be able to create "violet" slices from objects or to convert "yellow slices" to "violet slices".

It's a solution for images, but not when you're creating for example maps and need to export different areas, at different sizes, etc.

I export a lot of PDFs, (with a PNG versions as backup if I've got problem with the PDFs imported in another app at the last minute), and the export persona is usefull since I've got my presets, use them in a lot of documents, and I only have to click once to export a modified part if needed. More options would be usefull.