You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Picker tool in Curves

Hello Affinity.  In the desk top version of AF should you be able to use the picker tool in the curves panel to match up with the various tones in an image?  I was expecting that with the picker tool when clicked would show corresponding points on the curves line, am I missing something here.  Thanks  

image.png

19 minutes ago, It123 said:

Hello Affinity.  In the desk top version of AF should you be able to use the picker tool in the curves panel to match up with the various tones in an image?  I was expecting that with the picker tool when clicked would show corresponding points on the curves line, am I missing something here.  Thanks  

image.png

You do have to click and move the mouse very slightly for it to register and place a point on the curve.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Click on the curves adjustment panel Picker tool, then click and drag (a little bit) on the image with the mouse.

No need to hold anything down after clicking on ‘Picker’ just click and drag the mouse on the image.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 11 months later...

What toltec is saying is that the Picker button on the curves dialogue turns on click-and-drag adjustment. So once you click on the Picker button clicking and dragging your mouse on a spot in the image UP increases the Output for all pixels at the Input level of the spot you clicked on. Dragging DOWN reduces this. So, click on a shadow and drag up to brighten shadows (reducing contrast), etc. Affinity will consider the original Input value (pixel brightness value), so if you click in the exact same spot twice you will just continue to move the same dot in the curves dialogue curve spline. Note that Ctrl-z will undue all of your curve adjustments at once. If you really want to fix one dot on the curve then play with others you can click the Merge button on the curves dialogue, so that the first Ctrl-z will undo the Merge and the next Ctrl-z will undo just the last dot you created on the curve spline.