You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Personal Bible Meditation (and some process notes)

Jason Ramasami

This is a personal visual meditation on a poem from the Old Testament, Psalm 63. 

I’ve spent a lot of time this summer working through the tools in Affinity Designer  and I am almost at the point where I can use this software comfortably for client-facing work. 

So far I have created (and recreated) a number of info graphics to see how far I can push the software. My current process is to 
1. Biro sketch 
2. Structure in AD with simple shapes. 
3. Bitmap draft drawing in Clip Studio on IPad (the tools I have set up there work the most intuitively for me). 
4. Ink/shade it with the basic brush in AD on iPad. 
5. Some tweaking back and forth between the iPad and Mac versions of AD. The interface is easier on my big screen Mac when it comes to manipulating lots of layers - something I think AD on iPad stills needs some work with. 

Thankyou to the Affinity team for creating a superb set of tools that feel like a dream come true. 

283F145C-155A-46D0-BA73-802E2E0E857E.jpeg

8F0234BC-80E4-48EF-A827-7DC7EF22F9FE.jpeg

09AAC82B-C9B4-4328-BC9E-5FFA0E85B187.jpeg

I think I've cricked my neck trying to read this, I'm not religious at all, but I find religion interesting. I think you have a "typo" where it says, or should say "they will be given over to the sword" you have "the" instead of "they"

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You have to take the bible and many religions for that matter in context with its creation time. Unfortunately It's not so different a world today, there's just more of us, the world is still violent and cruel, it's just on a larger scale. The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome each time, this is a groundhog humanity, same mistakes just a different generation.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Little jimmy is following in his dads footsteps, little jimmy puts on his crash helmet, his dad shouts, "I'll be waiting at the front door" "little jimmy shouts "Okay" he slides open the patio door and makes a dash at the wall, CRASH! he gets up turns around and leaves via the front door. The next morning little jimmy is just about to put his crash helmet on when his mother points out that there is a gate that has no lock on it and will open easily if pushed, beyond the gate is a meadow with grass as lush, green and dewy as any grass could be. little jimmy looks at his mother, smiles, and fits his crash helmet on tight. Today is the day, he runs full pelt at the wall and ends up in a crumpled heap. He turns around and walks out through the front door. Many years later his mother is no longer with us and cannot give not so little jimmy the advice he desperately needs. He remembers what his mother had said all those years ago, smiles and shows his son how to fasten the battered helmet on, he shows him the running line and draws a big bullseye on the wall...

The gate never gets opened.

Typo: Well spotted! And I’m so sorry about the neck injury(!).

On the point of religion, violence and context (all excellent points) I should say a few things: 

1. My main aim was to share some process material using the software.

2. It is hard to post personal work here without it being... well, personal. Inevitably something like this is going to be misunderstood or potentially cause offence. I was quite wary about posting it for that reason, but felt it was worth it to simply encourage others to use the superb software in perhaps slightly different ways. 

3. Political bullying, violence and imperialistic behaviour are things that can all be attached to this text (and unfortunately people do that). My personal take on this is that it is about someone seeking a deeper connection with God. Admittedly, context is always king and out of context the sword section can seem difficult to agree with. 

Thanks for your responses everyone. 

55 minutes ago, Jason Ramasami said:

Typo: Well spotted! And I’m so sorry about the neck injury(!).

On the point of religion, violence and context (all excellent points) I should say a few things: 

1. My main aim was to share some process material using the software.

2. It is hard to post personal work here without it being... well, personal. Inevitably something like this is going to be misunderstood or potentially cause offence. I was quite wary about posting it for that reason, but felt it was worth it to simply encourage others to use the superb software in perhaps slightly different ways. 

3. Political bullying, violence and imperialistic behaviour are things that can all be attached to this text (and unfortunately people do that). My personal take on this is that it is about someone seeking a deeper connection with God. Admittedly, context is always king and out of context the sword section can seem difficult to agree with. 

Thanks for your responses everyone. 

Its only through dialogue that we get to understand each other and our views on life, a dialogue doesn't just include verbal communication. You are what you are and what you choose to believe in is your life choice. You obviously have a depth of feeling with this subject and that is translated in your art, its a visual expression of your internal dialogue. There are many things in religious text that are metaphorical, how many times a day do people say "I'm going to kill you" if this was taken literally, 99% of the population would be in jail for "attempted murder" or some-such.