You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can there be separate zoom tool and a zoom out tools?

I know there's already a zoom tool of course, and I know that if you go to view you can set it up to zoom in and zoom out. However, what I'm asking for is a zoom tool that only zooms in. I'm also asking for a zooms out tool that only goes out. To basically make 2 separate tools with that specific function like in Photoshop, and CSPaint.  Photoshop barely has any features that Affinity Photo doesn't, and I think this would just be another boon even if a slight one.

What would be the advantage? Or to put it another way, what do you find particularly disadvantageous about the current implementation of the zoom functions? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There are already so many ways to zoom using mousewheel, keyboard, layers panel, navigation panel, zoom tool - all of which feel more elegant than having two tools each with such a limited function.

https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/GetStarted/zoom.html

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

The reason I even asked is because I set up keyboard shortcuts regarding tools like this in Photoshop and CSpaint. I use control +space to zoom in and alt + space to zoom out.  The reason this is advantageous is because it's faster and more convenient in my opinion.  In Photoshop for example, you can hold the shortcut and the tool only stays on screen for as long as you hold the shortcut hotkeys. On top of that, it's convenient because you have more control of where you zoom in and zoom out from, and can choose a certain spot to zoom into by using the shortcut keys.  I tried making a shortcut key for the regular zoom tool in Affinity Photo and it wasn't very intuitive, because even when you're done with it it stays on the screen and you have to select a brush or something else. What I'm suggesting could be good because it would only work for as long as you use the shortcut, and you have more control of where you can zoom into the image of your choosing. It would be nice to use something like that and zoom into a specific part of the illustration/ photo Instead of it either, zooming into the whole thing or having to click the regular version of the zoom tool , in the tools section to get similar results. That's just my recommendation, and this is ideally what I would hope it could be like.

Shortcuts for zoom in and zoom out, already exist

they are..

CTRL+=
CTRL+-

you may be able to reassign them to what you are used to in PS (if they are not already used for something else)

or have I missed what you want to do?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 hours ago, BigMike777 said:

you have more control of where you zoom in and zoom out from,

In the Affinity apps, zooming in or out is centred on where you click with the Zoom Tool before you drag.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)