mannyburke

Pressure; Apple Pencil; AD on iPad Pro

While in pixel persona, I suddenly lost the ability to control the pressure sensitivity on my brushes. Things were fine one minute, but then stopped randomly. I tried closing and reopening- but no changes. 

Hi Mannyburke, 

Have you checked to see if 'Force Pressure to control size' is enabled? It is the top round button to the right of the Colour swatch on the Paint Brush Tool's context toolbar. See attached image.

IMG_E30144FABBAB-1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi Mannyburke, 

Have you checked to see if 'Force Pressure to control size' is enabled? It is the top round button to the right of the Colour swatch on the Paint Brush Tool's context toolbar. See attached image.

IMG_E30144FABBAB-1.jpeg

I just tried this. When the toggle is on, my lines are fat and fuzzy. When off, the same line is skinny and sharp. There does not seem to be any pressure sensitivity as the OP mentioned.

33 minutes ago, MyAmazingDiscoveries.com said:

I just tried this. When the toggle is on, my lines are fat and fuzzy. When off, the same line is skinny and sharp. There does not seem to be any pressure sensitivity as the OP mentioned.

I presume you're using the Apple Pencil? Have you checked to see what the size 'Dynamics' are set to under 'More'?

Thanks for the feedback. 

Ive been using AD for a while, prior to the iPad version, so I’m aware of the “force pressure” button. Anyway- I think it must have been a glitch or something, because it suddenly started working again. 

‘I’ve run into some similar issues in other areas— when trying to zoom out, it end up changing the size of a shape sometimes; or when trying to use Boolean ops, sometimes it will freeze up and I have to relaunch; or I will click on a tool and start using it, only to find I’m suddenly in a different layer than what I was intending. I know this all prob deserves their own posts- but I mention these things just to say that AD can sometimes be quite glitchy (but I must say it is not nearly as glitchy as my experiences with AP). So I must have just ran into some kind of RAM overload or something (though I am using the iPad Pro 12.9).

anyway, thanks for the help!

On 8/17/2018 at 5:33 PM, MyAmazingDiscoveries.com said:

Looking at your video I don't see anything out the ordinary. Your Hardness is set to 0% so you are meant to get that very diffused soft look on the brush, upping this will give you a harder more defined stroke. The reason it looks sharper when using the Pencil with pressure is that not much pressure is being applied, so the brush size is not maxing out at what you have set. Because of this there isn't lots of pixels to calculate the smoothing so you get what looks like a more defined brush. You can try disabling that button and just upping the Size Percentage  slider with the controller set to pressure. That slider just adjusts how much of a variance in brush size there is when using Pressure.

1 minute ago, Sean P said:

Looking at your video I don't see anything out the ordinary. Your Hardness is set to 0% so you are meant to get that very diffused soft look on the brush, upping this will give you a harder more defined stroke. The reason it looks sharper when using the Pencil with pressure is that not much pressure is being applied, so the brush size is not maxing out at what you have set. Because of this there isn't lots of pixels to calculate the smoothing so you get what looks like a more defined brush. You can try disabling that button and just upping the Size Percentage  slider with the controller set to pressure. That slider just adjusts how much of a variance in brush size there is when using Pressure.

My video shows a light touch, then morphing into a heavier touch - yet it all looks the same.

3 minutes ago, MyAmazingDiscoveries.com said:

Pencil.

I presume it is an Apple Pencil and not another stylus? Does it work if you try the other method I mentioned above about turning that Force Pressure button off and setting the Size Percentage and Pressure in the Brush Dynamics tab? Using Force Pressure it does feel like you have to apply quite a bit of pressure.

I've been trying myself using Force Pressure and going from barely touching to pressing it down and I get full pressure control.