You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi! I'm here for the first time! :13_upside_down: 

I admire the work on the program and keep my fingers crossed for further development :18_kissing_heart:

I would like to ask if there is an option in the program or any plugin that would allow me to make a "jitter" effect? Something like shaking in animation. Currently, I draw two pictures and then place them in a video editing program next to each other to get that effect. However, the process of drawing twice the same image is time-consuming. If there was a possibility of moving lines/making jittery/wiggly in in the finished picture, it would speed up my work at least twice :11_blush: 

#1 Edit:

Oh,I am using Windows 10

It's more or less the effect I'd like to get:

Yeah! Pizza! :28_hugging:

pizza-nutrition-facts-banner-300x100.jpg

• Staff

Hi Morguliusz,

You could the same type of effect using the Displace filter.  You'd just need a picture of 'clouds' to use as the map and you can get the effect shown in the attached screenshot from Affinity Photo.  For more information see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NylLqhPu5jk

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 08.39.34.png

Thanks for the answer. :12_slight_smile:

An interesting idea with clouds and the Displace option, but it does not give a good result. At least that's my opinion.
I used a few pics of clouds that I found on the internet in high resolution. Those where there are several clouds and where the whole sky is covered. As the effect was poor, I decided to make the clouds myself thanks to the Perlin Noise in Affinity Photo (Filters / Noise / Perlin Noise) option, something like Render > Clouds in Photoshop. 

Well, the quality is definitely better, but the main problem is that this option makes the image or text jaggy/ragged not jittery/wiggly. I do not know if it's a matter of the "Pixel" layer and because of that it's loses on quality, and if it would be on the vector image it would work ...

#1 Edit

Of course, I used a small effect of "Displace" (like 20-30 was max because of noise / jaggy)

#2 Edit

I checked if I can draw something in Affinity Designer in a vector (by the way, can I connect them somehow? I wrote two words and I had lots of layers that I could not combine into one.) I moved work back to Affinity Photo, but unfortunately the option "Displace "requires a raster layer ...

problemwithdisp.png

Edited by Morguliusz
Adding info about Affinity Designer

1 hour ago, Morguliusz said:

the main problem is that this option makes the image or text jaggy/ragged not jittery/wiggly

Can you explain a little about the distinction between the two?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'd say, jittery or wiggly is a smooth edged line that isn't straight and  jaggy/ragged is a distorted edge line with a broken up edge.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

This effect reminds me of an animation from a while ago called Rhubarb & Custard, pretty much everything had this moving line effect.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

15 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

This effect reminds me of an animation from a while ago called Rhubarb & Custard, pretty much everything had this moving line effect.

That’s what I immediately thought of when I read the OP’s description of drawing the ‘same’ image twice. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Can you explain a little about the distinction between the two?

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I'd say, jittery or wiggly is a smooth edged line that isn't straight and  jaggy/ragged is a distorted edge line with a broken up edge.

Exactly like @firstdefence said.

23 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

A roughen path tool has been discussed before, indeed it sounds like one is / was in development at some point…

So, two years ago there was an idea, but it was apparently abandoned... Pity...

18 hours ago, Morguliusz said:

Maybe not abandoned, just postponed while they finish up 'overhauling the internals' of some of the main tools, as mentioned in the first "Sneak peak for 1.7" post? But that is just a guess so I would not count on it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 5 years later...
On 8/21/2018 at 9:54 PM, Morguliusz said:

Pity… definitely! I've been waiting for that feature (especially on vector basis for Designer) for years now...

It's such a common need for me to now and then escape the smoothness of "sterile" vector paths for that little bit of "roughening" or "analog look and feel"! Back in the day I used to be able to do this with no problems whatsoever in Illustrator (using a filter or(!) that special tool from the toolbar) and now – years later – AD still hasn't caught up (as it hasn't neither in respect to tracing bitmaps...). Too bad really, as I really DO embrace the Affinnity apps on a general basis!