Volvodr66

Selection tool tolerance changes by itself

When I'm using the selection tool I first use it in the “new” mode to select the first portion of the image I want.  I then change the tool to the “add” mode and change the tolerance to something like 15 (for example).  I then start repeatedly selecting areas of the image to add to the selection.  During this time the tolerance will automatically change from 15 to 1 by itself.  This happens almost every time I use the selection tool.  Even if I go in and change the tolerance back to 15, after I resume making selections the tolerance will change back to 1 again by itself.  The tolerance keeps changing by itself while I'm selecting additional portions of the image to include in the selection.

I don’t know If it makes any difference but I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 without the keyboard so I'm selecting everything with just the stylus.  It has a 256 gig ssd, 8 gig of ram, and a Intel core i5 processor.  I'm also running Windows 10 and using version 1.6.4.104 of Affinity.

There are several selection tools, but as you mentioned "tolerance" I'll assume you mean the flood select tool.

It sounds like you're dragging to add new areas to the selection. Instead, you're supposed to simply click. Dragging sets the tolerance. From the Help for the tool,

Pixels added to a selection are determined by the color of the pixel or adjacent pixels under the tool when you click or drag across the page, respectively. The dragging operation controls the selection tolerance, i.e. how much the selection will grow to encompass pixels of similar color values under the cursor.

So, to use your specified tolerance, simply click on areas you'd like to add.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

I am using the flood select tool and when I change from "new" to "add" mode I change the tolerance as shown in the attached photo.  When selecting additional areas to include in the selection I am not dragging.  I am using my stylus and clicking on different areas of the image.  It I while I'm clicking on these areas the tolerance changes from 11% (like in the attached photo) to 1% by itself.  If I change the percentage of the tolerance back to 11% and continue making selections, it will change back to 1% again after I make 5 or 6 selections or so.  

Screenshot (7).png

That happens for me only if I drag, so (for me) the tool works as documented. Even a tiny drag can do it.

If that doesn't explain what you're seeing, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. I  hope someone else will be able to help.

-- Walt

Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

hi Volvodr66

As walt.farrell states usually if you click and drag on the canvas you can use it as a way to change the tolerance. If you are just clicking and not doing any drag would you be able to provide some information about your input device eg mouse, pen and tablet etc

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I am using a iPad Pro with a Apple Pencil as the input device.  After changing the mode to “add” and the tolerance to something like 11% I start “clicking” on various parts of the photo with the Apple Pencil.  I’m pretty sure I’m just clicking on a single point without moving the pencil point while clicking but after about 5 or 8 clicks or so the tolerance sets itself to 1%.  I can tell it does this without even looking at it because selecting additional portions of the photo no longer works.  I then change the tolerance back to whatever I want, continue clicking and after 5 to 8 clicks or so it will do it again.  This is on my iPad Pro 12.9 inch.  I also have an iPad Pro 10 inch but I haven’t tried loading the application on that one yet to see if it does the same thing.  I’ll try that tonight and report back my findings.  I’m curious to see if my other iPad behaves the same way this one does.

1 hour ago, Volvodr66 said:

I am using a iPad Pro with a Apple Pencil as the input device.

Your screenshot above looks like it was taken on Windows, which I presume explains your posting here in Bugs on Windows. But I"m confused by your saying that you're using an iPad.

-- Walt

You're absolutely correct. I've been going back and forth using both my ipad and Microsoft Surface Pro 3 the past few days editing photos on both and just got confused for a moment. Disregard the iPad comment. I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. The input device is the Pen that came with the Surface Pro.  Sorry for the confusion. As I said, I've been using Affinity on both the iPad and Surface Pro the past several days switching back and forth between the two. The issue is with the Surface Pro on Windows 10.

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification.

-- Walt