πkso

No difference between Windows Stabiliser and Rope Stabiliser

Hi all,

I encountered many bugs of Designer on my iPad 2018 + Apple Pencil.

This post is about the Stabiliser option.

When I first installed Designer a week ago, both options seemed to be working as intended, like in this video (54s) :
https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/designer/ipad/#/video/272749894

An hour ago I wanted to use those options but the fact is there were no difference between the two as I was seeing the "rope" preceding the curves no matter what I chose, plus the effect is the same.
I also saw something strange. In the frame concerning the Window stabiliser options I saw that :
<Window stabiliser>     15px
    Stabiliser                   Length
What's strange is that LENGTH 15px is an attribute of the rope, not the window.

I reinstalled the app, didn't change any option, the attributes bug disappeared but the behavior remained, is it intended? Did I miss something?

(in English shouldn't it be stabilizer and not stabiliser? (Sorry, I'm not English native ;) ))

Thanks for your answers.

Hey πkso,

The differences might appear subtle but as a test, do the following:

Stabiliser: Window Stabiliser and Window: 128. Now drag and draw a long oval shape.  You should notice that the line will extend and the curve will take time to catch up with your cursor.

Stabiliser: Rope stabiliser and Length 128. Now do the same as above. What you will notice this time is that the curve keeps up with the cursor but remains at a fixed distance. Resulting in a sharper oval.

What's weird is that you said you saw Lenth associated with Windows stabiliser. I haven't seen this but I'll try and reproduce it.

If you have your language set to English, it uses UK English so Stabiliser is correct :) If you set it to US English, it will be Stabilizer. If you're more familiar with US term, you can change it under Preferences > General > Language :D 

@Chris B HAHA thanks for the US tip ;)

Yes, I noticed that the Window is slower. I guess I'll need to find more accurate tutorials on those 2 to understand the subtlety and in which case to use each, because to my eye, there's close to no difference aside from speed at high numbers like you gave me. I could reproduce smooth and angled paths with both. It's like it's the same tool with just an option to check (i.e { } Smooh path) and you decided to separate it in 2 different tools.

For the bug of the Length, it stayed like that until I decided to reinstall the app because it wasn't changing even after selecting other tools. I didn't see it since then.

Thanks for your answers.