You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm struggling with a feature with seems to be missing in Affinity photo, or maybe I just didn't find it ^^

So I have a pixel layer, I make a selection and create a mask from the selection.

Then, I apply several adjustment layers.

Like in the pic I uploaded.

Later, for some reasons, I want to get rid of the mask - not the selection, only the mask ! I want to definitely "apply" the mask.

The only way I found is to "Rasterize" the layer... and it flattens the mask, so it's great, but... all the adjustments layers are flattened to! and this, I don't want.

So I had to move away the adjustments layers, rasterize the image with the mask, and then move back the adjustments layers... A bit annoying ^^ 

In Photoshop, I can just right click on the mask and choose "Apply the mask" and that's it. 

I can't believe such a simple feature is missing in Affinity Photo ?? I must be hiding somewhere !

Thanks for help :)

masque.png

• Staff

Hi @liltus,

Welcome to the forums. 

We do not have an "apply mask" option. In your case, the easiest way to do it would be to drag those 2 adjustments ( Recolour and Levels) above the image and rasterise the image and the mask. You can then nest the adjuments back to the image. Is there any reason why you moved the adjustment layers inside the layer? 

moved to feature requests

Thanks,

Gabe. 

If you have many adjustment layers it may be easier to drag the mask layer above the image layer then right click the mask layer and select Merge Down.

I think the effect is the same but I have not tested it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123

The problem with "image" layer is that you can't rasterise them and keep the adjustement layers (they are applied and all is rasterised).

An option to rasterise/apply mask and preserve adjustement layers would be usefull.

Merge down (ctrl+E) will merge (a mask) with the next pixel layer will not merge with the image layer,  but with another sub pixel layer.

@Wosven

I don't speak French(?) but I think the OP's screenshot shows a Pixel layer, would Merge Down not work as described on a Pixel Layer?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123 you're right!

Damn! My first answer (that I deleted) was about ctrl+E that works fine with pixel layers, as you say, and doesn't need to un-nest the mask or anything... But I end up thinking and testing with image layer... Why do it simple when we can do complicated? :S

So I can put my previous screenshot about ctrl+E action :)

masque.png.12c0a7d4e17db1d3d9e7befc4f002998.png

Thank you all :) 

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Is there any reason why you moved the adjustment layers inside the layer? 

well I made this quick example to explain my question, but the original document has dozens of layers and groups, and the adjustment layers need to be nested with their appropriate layers. (I hope I understood your question well, I'm not sure ^^)

here's the document where I had the "problem": 

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Merge down (ctrl+E) will merge (a mask) with the next pixel layer will not merge with the image layer,  but with another sub pixel layer.

oh yes! Ctrl E works well in my case :) I mostly work with pixel layers anyway. many thanks !!

to be honest, since pixel layers can resize without quality loss, and can have live filters applied on... I don't really see any interest to work with "images". I probably missed something though ^^ 

@liltus,

Image layers are like embedded, you can replace the image by another one or the same you had modified in another program.

The image layer will keep it original PPI, and if you resize it you'll see PPI information and pixels size at the top of the screen. Once rasterized (=> pixel layer), the PPI will be the same as the document's.