You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[APh] Macros that include other macros as steps

When I record a macro & add a step to it that is itself another macro, when the 'parent' macro is saved, is it then independent of the 'child' macros or do those 'child' macros still have to be present in the Library for it to work? IOW, does the 'parent' macro store all the steps of any 'child' macros in it when it is saved, or does it run the 'child' macro(s) from the Library whenever it gets to a step that is a macro?

Basically, I am asking if I can delete a macro used by another macro once the other macro has been saved.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

that was easy to test, i made 2 test macro's and used them in a third macro, deleted the first 2 macro's and played the third macro.

everything from macro 1 and 2 was still working in macro 3

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

9 minutes ago, owenr said:

Why not test it for yourself?

I did test it but I was getting some odd, inconsistent results. Since I don't know if that was because of a bug in the app, something wrong in my installed copy of it, or something wrong with my testing methodology, I was hoping to get a definitive answer from the staff about how it works & what to do about any anomalous behavior I get on my system.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi R-CR, 

Me and @GabrielM Just tried this and we got the same results as @dutchshader 

What steps did you have set up in the Macro?  

From the quick tests we have done here, it appears calling in the other Macro copies the steps into the one you are recording.  You should be able to see this is the case if you record a macro that applies an adjustment layer, you still have the options to configure the adjustment layer once thats been called into a new/other Macro and then deleted (i hope that makes sense).

9 minutes ago, stokerg said:

You should be able to see this is the case if you record a macro that applies an adjustment layer, you still have the options to configure the adjustment layer once thats been called into a new/other Macro and then deleted (i hope that makes sense).

It does make sense. In fact, one of the things I tried was to edit a macro that included applying an adjustment layer in a macro it called, changing a few options in that adjustment layer, & then saving the edited macro back as a new macro. That usually worked as expected, but a few times it was as if the options did not 'take,' in that the edited macro did not include the changes & was identical to the original unedited version.

But it is entirely possible that I did something wrong somewhere during that procedure so all I was really seeing was the result of my own foolish user error(s).

I was also seeing some other odd behavior in how the test image was being rendered when playing the macro from the macro panel vs. clicking on the same (?) saved edited version in the Library panel, in what the History panel was displaying as a single macro vs. several different actions in it, & some differences in what the recorded macro played back vs. doing the same steps manually without the recorder running. There was no discernible pattern to it, but more to the point, after restarting the app I have not seen any of those things recur, so maybe I just somehow managed to get the app into some weird state during my tests.

Anyway, absent of any more weird behavior I think I have the answer I was looking for, so thanks to all for the help with this.

Affinity Photo