You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why are some preset cropping frames constrained while others are not?

I am unclear about certain aspects of the cropping tool. Why is it that when I choose 1:1, 5:7 or 8:10 the crop frame preserves the ratio when I move the horizontal or vertical side, but when I choose 6x4 or 8.5x11, the ratio is not preserved when I move either the vertical or horizontal side? And why do the first 3 options use : while the other two use X? Is there a way to create a custom cropping frame that is 6x4 that is "constrained" meaning that it preserves the ratio when I move either the vertical or horizontal line? Thanks!

The first three options use ‘:’ because they are (fixed) ratios. The others are absolute dimensions which you can change; e.g. starting with 5" × 7" and changing it to 6" × 4". If you want a ‘constrained’ 6:4, you need to set it up as a custom ratio.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

If you want a ‘constrained’ 6:4, you need to set it up as a custom ratio.

Note that a 6:4 ratio & a 4:6 ratio are two different ratios -- the first is 6 units wide by 4 units high (or 3 W by 2 H because that is the same ratio) while the second is 4 units wide by 6 units high. Because they specify the ratio of one quantity to another, they do not have any dimensional units of their own, which is why the "Units:" dropdown in the Context toolbar is greyed out when you select the "Custom Ratio" mode or any ratio preset.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

How do you set up a custom ratio of 3:2 for instance? I have not been able to figure out how to add custom ratios to the ones that come already preset which are 1:1, 5:7 and 8:10.

Sorry, I just figured it out! No answer to this post required. 

Edited by alecspra
Found the answer to my question