CarolB

Difficulty Importing Styles on Ipad

I have been trying to import styles to both Designer and Photo on my iPad Pro. These same styles have successfully imported to the desktop version.  I have them downloaded to iCloud but when I try and import them into the iPad version they appear greyed out.  (see first image attached) When I look at these same files in iCloud directly on the iPad they are not greyed out (see second image attached)  Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Thank you.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_11a6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_11a5.jpg

5 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Have you got both Photo and Designer installed on your iPad?

That question immediately occurred to me when I first saw this thread, but then I noticed a small clue right at the beginning of the OP. ;)

I have been trying to import styles to both Designer and Photo on my iPad Pro.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

On 8/15/2018 at 3:50 PM, CarolB said:

When I look at these same files in iCloud directly on the iPad they are not greyed out (see second image attached)

On my iPad, which has both Photo & Designer installed on it, all the afstyles files appear in the Files app with an Affinity Photo document icon, like this:
1139759335_afstylesicon.jpg.f63f6db9aa0e5051657a7df2f51a78ae.jpg

Yours have a different "FE" icon, which suggests they are in a file format used by some other app. If you long press on one of your "FE" items to get the context menu to pop up & tap on "Info" you should get something like this:
1885040150_Filesinfo.jpg.3903a31c1b7d541fd440d6ed6c5df53b.jpg

If you do that, what does it show for the file extension & the kind?

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Ah, yes!  So the file type shows as 'document'!

Its interesting because, as I said, I have successfully imported these Styles to my desktop version of AD but when I look at the exact same files on iCloud but on my Mac computer they show as Exec files (photos below) and the info still says they are 'document' but they will load.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  These are nice styles but essentially it doesn't matter if I can't import them, I would just like to understand a bit more :)

Many thanks

Carol 

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 10.33.03.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 10.38.16.png

10 minutes ago, CarolB said:

... but on my Mac computer they show as Exec files (photos below) and the info still says they are 'document' but they will load.

Hmmm. On my Mac, the .afstyles stored in iCloud Drive info shows this:
1973248486_stylesinfo.thumb.jpg.6ca962095f87c7ea74d6a0fd8913c178.jpg

I think "Open with <none>" is normal (because style files have to be imported manually in the app) & on a Mac so is & "Kind: Document" but I don't have any idea why on my Mac the Preview icon is the generic document one & on yours it is the one for a Unix executable file.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

I wonder if having 'Mega' installed on CarolB's iPad is somehow related to this issue? I do not have that or anything like it installed on mine, & when I went to https://www.glyfz.com/affinitydesigner/affinity-designer-free-style.htm on my iPad & tapped the "Download Them" button, instead of glass.afstyles showing the "M" (I assume for Mega) document icon, I got an Affinity Photo document icon:

414981350_glyfzglassstyles.jpeg.9c18089b9721000cc9cd589b34bb1293.jpeg

I had no trouble importing this file into my Affinity iPad apps by tapping on "More..." & the "Save to Files" option just as Carol did.

That’s an interesting thought. I tried deleting all the ‘file opening’ type apps from my iPad but now it offers Evernote as the option to open the file!!! I really don’t want to delete that app, as I do use that quite regularly. It does seem likely that it’s some sort of conflict going on here but really not sure where to start looking, or whether it’s something in settings that needs altering? 

11 minutes ago, CarolB said:

I really don’t want to delete that app, as I do use that quite regularly.

Assuming you have a Mac or PC, as a workaround you might try setting up iCloud Drive on it if you have not already done so. Then on that computer copy one or more .afstyles to one of the iCloud Drive folders accessible in the iPad Files app. Hopefully, in the iPad Files app they will show the Affinity Photo document icon & won't be greyed out when you try to import them into Photo or Designer.

If nothing else, this might be a good troubleshooting step to see if bypassing the Mega app (if I am right about the above procedure doing that) makes any difference.

I have already tried that and unfortunately it doesn't work.  Just to re-cap on what I've tried incase anything occurs to you :)

On my iPad i have deleted all the apps associated with downloading files/zip files and now when I download a Styles file the default app is Evernote or the option to save to files on iPad, which saves to iCloud.  If I then try and import from there, the file is greyed out and now shows an Evernote logo, even though I didn't ask it to use Evernote to download it!

On my desktop, I can download a Styles file and move it across to iCloud.  I can then import it to the desktop version of AD or AP without any problems.  If I then go to my iPad and try and import the exact same file from iCloud, it is greyed out but doesn't show the Evernote logo.

Very mysterious LOL

1 hour ago, CarolB said:

If I then go to my iPad and try and import the exact same file from iCloud, it is greyed out but doesn't show the Evernote logo.

What logo does it show?

1. Pretty sure this is the same problem i am having. I downloaded them to Documents, and they are now associated with a file convertor app. None of them have Affinity - Designer or Photo - logos on them despite the extension being correct. 

I know some fellow users are having the same issue.

This is from the Affinity Photo attempt to import Styles.

IMG_ADDBB003EEA7-1.jpeg

I am having the same exact issues as Tracey ^ . I was able to import Styles with no problem as of a week ago. I no longer have the Affinity thumbnails on my files. 

When I go to the file above {using my iPad Pro} 

that Carol is referring to, I get the Affinity logo thumbnail but then I get an error when trying to import it to Affinity Photo on my iPad. 

A17BB758-1050-4D9D-A3CC-780E6A321845.png

0EBB1953-60D4-41E1-B48C-EB51F1D8976E.png

I just successfully added that glass styles above ^ ...... I had to download it to my Dropbox and it work3d perfectly, but not if I tried it from downloading anywhere else. Interesting. 

When I open Files app and look in Dropbox at those files they are documents.... they only show properly and import when in the import screen in the styles panel. However this morning I realized something.  I’d say it was an iOS update issue except that several haven’t updated iOS and have this issue too, so it’s not iOS update issue.  When you press and hold on the Files app icon in the bar at the bottom, it shows them properly..... weird .

F0600DDE-CFD4-4071-A672-46DE0858245B.png

Updates 1.6.11.85 importing Styles works with iCloud and Dropbox but doesn’t work with On My iPad.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?

I'm afraid no. Sorry. 

Anything that isn't an affinity document in the 'On my iPad' folders will not be recognised by the iPad and not importable. Applies to all exportable types, fonts, etc.

The workaround, for now, is to move them to a cloud location - Dropbox/iCloud should work fine.

I'm still having this issue: Designer 1.7.2 on iOS 10.3 can't import an .afstyles file from DropBox or iCloud. These files have a standard icon, not the purple one. File is greyed out and can't be selected when choosing "import styles" from the Styles hamburger menu. 

--> I'm pretty sure this happens only when you don't have Affinity Photo installed on iPad, something is wrong with file type associations on Designer.