You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will Affinity switch to a subscription model in the future?

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

For those interested, @αℓƒяє∂ recognized that "hydraulic ramjet peanut butter spreader" is an invention of Gyro Gearloose, a Disney comic book character.

More here: The Gyro Stories

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

More here: The Gyro Stories

FWIW, it was around 65 (!!) years ago that as a child I saw the hydraulic ramjet peanut butter spreader mentioned as one of Gyro's inventions. It has survived as one of my favorite metaphors for anything overly elaborate or of dubious usefulness, which may suggest why I mentioned it in this context. :72_imp:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I wouldn't be upset. I would be sad to see another company using the subscription model. It's not sustainable for not professional users and small companies.

I don't think Serif will do it.

Paid updates with a "fair" price is the more reasonable way to go in the future.

I'm very happy with their software. Using Designer daily, with Photo to learn and waiting for Publisher!! (really need it)

INTEL I5 3470 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | SSD EVO850 500GB | MSI 1050 TI 4GB

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206

For me it is simple: I paid for version AD 1.4 (if my memory serves me well) so any 1.x version / update should be for free as it was said. I am willing to pay for the upgrade 2.0 and get 2.x updates for free, if this upgrade is so significant that I will make the decision to switch to version 2.0 (I will probably buy it anyway just to support Serif :-)) But the subscription model? Well this would lead me to go back to other company’s products...

• 5 years later...

I am here from the future to once again say I am out the door if Affinity goes to subscription, now that Affinity has been purchased by Canva. I left Adobe CC because of the subscription model for Affinity, even though I taught Photoshop and Illustrator at a university. I bought Zbrush in 2018 which had lifetime updates; Now they are purchased by Maxon and have a ridiculous subscription and aren't honoring the lifetime licenses. 

I will go to open source software. Blender is really good, but Inkscape is not really usable compared to Affinity Designer or Illustrator. If the acquisition only has upsides for the customers of Affinity, I will be surprised. I can't think of an example where this has been the case. At least the Affinity Team is being kept in place, for now. 

7 hours ago, hds said:

I am here from the future to once again say I am out the door if Affinity goes to subscription, now that Affinity has been purchased by Canva. I left Adobe CC because of the subscription model for Affinity, even though I taught Photoshop and Illustrator at a university. I bought Zbrush in 2018 which had lifetime updates; Now they are purchased by Maxon and have a ridiculous subscription and aren't honoring the lifetime licenses. 

I will go to open source software. Blender is really good, but Inkscape is not really usable compared to Affinity Designer or Illustrator. If the acquisition only has upsides for the customers of Affinity, I will be surprised. I can't think of an example where this has been the case. At least the Affinity Team is being kept in place, for now. 

And another fellow time-traveler here echoing this sentiment. I just saw the news on the acquisition today.

I won't hesitate to jump ship if they move to subscription. I'll use V2 until I no longer can, then switch to open source solutions. This subscription trend is harmful to most customers, and it's sad that so many will just go along with it instead of leaving. Canva knows this -- they know a great many (such as myself) will leave, but probably even more will stay (and pay... and pay again and again and again), so they don't care.